4 weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenhead1, Jan 25, 2012.

1. chickenhead1

chickenhead1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    Preston Oklahoma
    My babies will be 4 weeks old on Jan. 29th. We're looking at high 40's low 50's this weekend. Is it still too cool to put them in a day pen outside for a little bit? They have to be getting tired of looking at the same old walls. If it's too cool when would be about the right temp? They aren't fully feathered yet, they still have some down on their head and necks. Any info will be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. RedPyleLady

RedPyleLady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    im sure thould be just fine :) If the place you are brooding them in has high temps like 90s or 80s i would only let them outside for a little bit at a time and then increase their time outside as the days go by, but I let mine out probably around that age, maybe a little older and they were fine :)

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have 11 Lavender Orpingtons that were hatched on December 11th and they are in a coop and run with heat at night only (100 watt light bulb) at 6 weeks old. I have the bulb about 2.5 feet off the ground in the middle of the coop. once they are fully feathered at about 5-6 weeks old they can be put in a coop with a small amount of heat at night and they will be fine! In the next few days I will take the light out at night.

Nate

4. lemuckley_flock

lemuckley_flock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    We've got 15 chicks that are about 5-6 weeks old who are outside. They have heat still (not fully feathered) and I close their coop door at night, but in the morning I open it up and figure if they're cold they'll go back inside. And they do, sometimes 10 will be outside, then a breeze will blow and everyone packs it in. They love running out when the sun shines and flopping over in it. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to watch their little chickie antics. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by