• Not necessarily

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Wuick

Chirping
Jul 9, 2019
Coeur d’ Alene, ID
Hello all!
I have 8, 4 week old barnyard mixes and 5 already have red combs and wattles. From what I understand at 4 weeks this is a sure sign of a cockerel. Is that right? Or is there still hope?

Photo is just to show how red the combs are. Pullet from the hatch is sitting on my hand, her brother is on the ground with the comb.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 06B07CF2-CE40-470C-AFEE-9428E6A84F1F.jpeg
    06B07CF2-CE40-470C-AFEE-9428E6A84F1F.jpeg
    520 KB · Views: 314
  • 02775A61-07B1-47C7-8EC7-3DF2C9438A5E.jpeg
    02775A61-07B1-47C7-8EC7-3DF2C9438A5E.jpeg
    510.5 KB · Views: 286
  • E2085326-DB5E-4123-9A40-7BABDD08DD7B.jpeg
    E2085326-DB5E-4123-9A40-7BABDD08DD7B.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 284
There’s still hope!
The red will be a few shades more vibrant, usually.
Check for saddle feathers (pointed feathers near his/her tail), or pointed feathers on her/his neck. If you find those it’s a 99% chance your chicken is a male. Hope this helps!!

Woohoo! Thank you for the hope! I guess I better take better photos when I can and post them. I was so convinced they were cockerels I figured I wouldn’t even bother.

Sounds good!
They’re beautiful chickens! I know how it is with them at that age, it’s a big guessing game. I remember I had suspected four of being cockerels with my set of chicks when they were that age, one more than the others. Only one ended up to be a roo, and what a wonderful rooster he was!
Even if you do end up getting a roo, they could still be an excellent addition to your flock! Mine was completely fine with being held, and he protected and warned the hens against any danger. Such a man. ;):p

Sounds good!
They’re beautiful chickens! I know how it is with them at that age, it’s a big guessing game. I remember I had suspected four of being cockerels with my set of chicks when they were that age, one more than the others. Only one ended up to be a roo, and what a wonderful rooster he was!
Even if you do end up getting a roo, they could still be an excellent addition to your flock! Mine was completely fine with being held, and he protected and warned the hens against any danger. Such a man. ;):p

Thank you so much! I would adore a sweet roo.

Four week old chicks with red combs and wattles really are most likely cockerels. Male feathering doesn't start to grow in until at least 12 weeks, so it doesn't really do any good to look for pointy saddle or hackle feathers, or anything like that for a while yet. If you could post pictures of them in a few more weeks, any cockerels should be pretty easy for folks on here to pick out for you.

Back
Top Bottom