4 wk chick had coccidiosis now sneezing & gurgling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PetRock, Mar 18, 2013.

1. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) OE chick, 4 wks old
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Occasional sneezing, gurgling, bloody poo
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 12 hours
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No but I'm treating the rest of the chicks with a preventative dose of Denagard.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Coccidiosis last week.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Not seen him eat but I've been giving him medicated (Denegard) water with a syringe.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Several normal poos but just found a large bloody poo.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Denegard
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Can't afford a vet so I'm this little bird's only hope.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Large water tank brooder with pine shavings.

I have twelve 4 week old chicks in my brooder. They are eating King natural chick starter crumbles and the same starter fermented. Within 3 days of bringing them home, the majority of them came down with coccidiosis and 1 died. I treated them with Sulmet because I didn't have Corid. Within 2 days, there were no more bloody poos and all were acting normal. After the 6 days of treatment, I gave them probiotics and electrolytes in their water. Today is day 4 post treatment and this morning one chick was sneezing and gurgling. I separated him from the other chicks and started him on Denagard for what I assumed was a respiratory infection. He has no discharge from his nose or eyes, just an occasional sneeze and the gurgling/crackling. Are these possible symptoms of exposure to mold? I completely change the bedding every 2-3 days. When I just checked on him, there was a big bloody poo in the kennel. I am looking for recommendations on what action to take. I only have Sulmet, Denagard, and Vet RX but I could go to the feedstore tomorrow morning to pick up something else.

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I am no Avian Vet but I do know that after an animal has gotten cocci they have a much weaker immune system so he really could be reacting to anything. I would continue to give him vitamins and electrolytes, maybe a little molasses in the water?!

3. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Thank you, Megan Amber! It is so hard to know what's going on in his little body. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by