4 wk old chick blocked up butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by khelsher, May 11, 2007.

1. khelsher

khelsher New Egg

May 1, 2007
    really gross, I know. But the poor thing does not look good. Her butt is red and sore with all feathers picked out. the poop has crusted all around. I cleaned it out yesterday with warm water and actually she pooped and pooped. this morning it was clogged again. I repeated the treatment but it appears to help only temporarily.
    What the heck could be wrong?
    This same chick also has a big bulge on it's chest. It is soft like a big air sac or blister. I have no idea if it is related to the butt problem or a separate issue.
    thanks for any suggestions.

2. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Awww. [​IMG] What are you feeding her? I started them on Blue Seal Chick Starter (medicated because that's all they have) and I had to clean a lot of pasty butts at first. I read in Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens to add raw uncooked old fashioned (not quick oats) oatmeal to the mix, which I just whizzed up in my food processor to resemble the same 'cut' as their chick starter, added it to the chick starter and it helped immensely! No more pasty butt. I started out at about 50/50, but took it down to a ratio of about 75% starter to 35% oatmeal. Lately I've been doing just starter and they are all fine!

The bulge on the front, if she is eating okay, is probably the crop and it's just full.

HTH!

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  3. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    You can force feed her a little bit of molasses to help her have more normal bowel movements. I'd keep her away from the other chicks- sounds like she is getting picked on pretty badly. Also, cleaning her a few times a day for the next few days is probably to be expected- poor little thing.

-MTchick

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would clean her bum really good, and make sure it is dry...then slather it with vaseline. It will keep the poo from sticking. But...for sure...seperate her for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by