4 wk old chick not growing- crop issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilfarm77, Jan 4, 2014.

1. lilfarm77

lilfarm77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    NH
    Hi I bought 8 Easter Eggers that are now almost 4 wks old. One of them has feathered out but is very small & hardly grown. I saw it moving it's head side to side and picked it up to find its crop very big and swollen. I massaged it and expelled lots if food. It's crop went back to being swollen again and doing the head thing. Question is can I do anything else or cause of its age and not growing could it be a defect in her?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you feeding them anything other than chick crumbles, and are they still in a brooder? They need chick grit if they are getting treats or foods other than that, and especially when they are on the ground after they are older. Are they eating during the night or do they sleep all night? If they sleep at night, the mornings are good to check the crop when it should be empty. Of course with chicks eating all the time, they will usually have food in their. Is the crop soft when it is big, or is it hard? Some chicks just don't grow as fast or as well as others--there are "runts" just as there are in other species. Giving a lot of water with some probiotics and massaging throughout the day can help with crop problems.

3. lilfarm77

Nov 16, 2013
    NH
    It's soft. They are only on crumble & yes in the brooder still. They seem to sleep all night. Why does the chicks head go side to side ? I was guessing cause of its crop. Thanks for the help

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may be adjusting the crop with the head movements. Can you examine any of the other chick's crops to compare them? Is he pooping alright? I would check it in the morning--if it's flat or small, he may just be a little piggy.

5. lilfarm77

Nov 16, 2013
    NH
    I will check in the morning. Yes pooping & drinking too

6. lilfarm77

Nov 16, 2013
    NH
    Seems her crop is always the same puffed out size & feels soft.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by