4 wk old Chick still fuzzy

Burger85

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2023
I know this probably has been asked a million times but as a first time chicken owner I have plenty of questions.

Our chicks are now 4 weeks old. All but one is growing feathers.

In the picture you can see how the one chick is still fuzzy and feathers are growing in weirdly.

They are eating purina chick and grow medicated

I use a heat plate instead of a heat lamp

The breed is Sapphire Gem

Attachments

• 20230403_165502~3.jpg
    20230403_165502~3.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 64
Some chickens naturally grow their feathers faster or slower than others. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

If you ever find references to breeds or individual chickens having the genes for "fast feathering" or "slow feathering," you have the perfect example right there: one with slow feathering, and the rest with fast feathering.

The fast or slow feathering only seems to affect how fast they grow their first feathers. After that, it it no longer matters unless you are breeding your chickens (in which case some of its chicks might inherit slow feathering from that one.)

There's always some individual variation. Also, boys tend to feather out slower than girls do. So it's probably just a late bloomer. One year I had one who was really slow to feather out, which was funny because he was also the largest one by far - both by height and by weight. His siblings were all smooth and looked like real birds, while he looked like a giant poof ball :lol: Grew into a beautiful rooster with no problems at all.

boys tend to feather out slower than girls do.
I had a pullet that was very slow to feather, much like the rooster you described. So no-one should make assumptions about gender based on feathering speed :)

(I think Sapphire Gems tend to be color-sexable. If that is so, then OP's chick has the female coloration.)

Hey everyone! Here's an update. Rosita the fuzzy chick. 6wks old and seems to be doing well other than getting feathers. Eating and drinking perfectly. She is getting more feather but they are coming in oddly. I haven't moved them out to the coop yet waiting for Rosita to feather out more but they are running out of room in the brooder. Her feathers seem to curl also.. what in the world can I do to help her! First time chicken mama.

Breed : Sapphire gem

I’m not sure by the pics. But one of my RIR feathered in slowly like that and was kinda “curly”. Turned out to be male. Not sure if that’s the case with yours, but it’s possible.

I should mention mine’s legs and feet were thicker and his waddles showed up early. He also just feels different. My other birds are soft and foofy and he feels like he’s wearing armor. His quills feel much thicker.

I’m not sure by the pics. But one of my RIR feathered in slowly like that and was kinda “curly”. Turned out to be male. Not sure if that’s the case with yours, but it’s possible.

I should mention mine’s legs and feet were thicker and his waddles showed up early. He also just feels different. My other birds are soft and foofy and he feels like he’s wearing armor. His quills feel much thicker.

Attachments

• 20230421_131441~2.jpg
    20230421_131441~2.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230421_131425~2.jpg
    20230421_131425~2.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom