4 wk old EE. Is it too early to tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenn-E, Jun 22, 2010.

1. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here are some pics of my 4 wk old EE. Any thoughts on boy vs. girl? She was sexed as a pullet, but I am worried after reading posts that lighter-colored EE are more likely to be boys. Her legs are a bit thicker than some of the similar aged chicks, but they're different breeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    looks like a girl to me though its probably too early to tell. Any good tail shots? My EE cockerel was light, but his comb was noticeably pink at 4-5 weeks old. I didn't notice any difference in legs from him to my pullet. But his tail was narrow and upright as opposed to my EE pullet who's tail fanned out somewhat.

3. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    By 4 weeks my EE boys had broader and pinker combs. It could be too early to tell though. I would wait a couple weeks and try back.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    A little early to tell but it has the roo stance in the first pic.

5. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the thoughts. I think S/he mostly holds her tail down like the other chicks. No signs of dominant behavior, but she's actually a week younger than the other chicks, so that might make a difference (if I say she enough times will it make it true [​IMG]). I will wait a week or two & try to take some more pictures. I don't know how everyone else gets such good photos. My birds don't want to stand still.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by