4 wk old got wing chewed off!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nicoletm24, Aug 29, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    I've recently put my oldest chicks outside in a dog crate.....they've been fine, and i thought nothing could get to them. but, apparently overnight, or while I was gone this morning (if i didn't notice it then)...something got ahold of ones wing, and it was hanging off of her. [​IMG] Completely ripped from the body, bones were broken and all....the part of the wing that was only being held together by a piece of dried grass, i removed. she seems to be fine. I put anticeptic on it and some triple antibiotic ointment. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

what else can I do for the poor thing? I'm going to put her and 1 other in a seperate smaller cage. I'll put the extra one in there bc she hate being alone. Or i might just put a stuffed animal. [​IMG]

I'm so angry that this happened. I pray it wasn't my dog or cat...bc it would not be a pretty sight had i caught them! [​IMG]

2. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I've been doctoring a hen who got attacked by our STUPID DOG!!. I've been using Vetericyn spray, antibiotic, Cut Heal and Kote. 2-3 times per day. She's doing much better. Good Luck...might need to add some additional wire around the dog crate as precaution.

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Poor thing, Sounds like you are doing good. Please let us know how it turns out and good luck!

4. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    thank you so much. my fiance already said that we're going tomorrow to get smaller fencing! i have a feeling that it was one of my animals...but since not caught in the act...just don't know.

i'll be doctoring her up. i'm going to keep her separate few days, at least til it get a good scab on it.

THANKS for all the thoughts and tips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by