4 wk old guinea down/throws up slimy water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by georgia531, Jun 11, 2011.

1. georgia531

georgia531 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    I hope someone can help... I noticed my 4 wk old guinea was lethargic and laying down alot yesterday, thought it might be the heat.. today it was worse, so when I went to bring it in away from the others when I picked it up it threw up slimy water... upon searching I read about sour crop... it does not stink and its crop is not swelled. it just doesnt want to eat, and is laying in the tote. I have given water with sugar and electrolytes several times today.. several times again, when I pick it up it vomits the water. some background: they have hay in their outside brooder, wire run floor, off the ground, large brooder box with heat lamp.. I have seen some of them with pieces of hay hanging from their mouths, and added grit.. I keep the hay dry, but am cleaning it out of there tomorrow so they cant eat it.. at this point my sick guinea is laying down, puffed up, has a heat lamp, and is not eating... I have given water several times as I said.. also gave some olive oil mixed with water with a dropper as I am desperate in case it cannot pass something in its gizzard. This one in particular was the biggest, being about 5days older than the rest. I also helped it hatch, as I lost all the other bator mates due to temp spike. It is no longer the biggest, it is skinny, and is always "last".. Im thinking it has been coming down with something for several days... I think it has hay in its gut it cant pass, but that is a guess. At any rate, can anyone please give me some advice on how to save this keet... I havent removed the food, but it doesnt seem like it has eaten any... please help soon.. thank you in advance.

2. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    If I posted this in the wrong place, Im sorry, dont know how to move it.. my guinea is really sick... i didnt expect it to be alive this morning, but it was... I gave it polyvsol vitamins and it did perk up alot earlier in the day.. it was pecking in its food and walking, and drinking water.. i was gone for several hours and when I came back it was laying down again.. i gave it more vitamins and also water/electrolytes through and eye dropper.. there is no blood in the poop, there is hardly any poop at all. .. its like it is starving itself to death and I dont understand why... has this happened to anyone else?? I am at a loss what to do next, Id really like to try to save it. This was the biggest one, it was born a week before the other 10.. (from different clutches).... i noticed earlier in the week it was always "last" so I kept my eye on it and it seemed to be laying down alot. If anyone has any advice on what I can do to save this baby, please respond.. thank you in advance. [​IMG]

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I don't have any experience with guineas and not much with poultry in general, hope someone else knows what to do!

The only things I can think of is 1) make sure it's not overheating with the heat lamp and 2) mix feed with water to give to it. If you have to, make it super watery, add the polyvisol or electrolytes and eye-dropper it into bird.

Good luck. [​IMG]

4. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    thank you, i will try that.. i dont have much luck getting its mouth open.. it does drink water from the eyedropper, but not much.. i also noticed that when i pick it up, the water comes back up.. maybe it the way i am picking it up, but it does throw water back up after a long time, it seems it shouldnt still be in its crop. i dont have much hope at this point, it was eating just this morning. now it looks worse than last night. im so sad. thank you for answering...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by