4 wk old Orpington chicks - girls or boys??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Achickobsessed, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Achickobsessed

Achickobsessed Out Of The Brooder

Hi, I have x4 mixed Orpington chicks which are now 4 weeks old and were about 3.5 weeks old in the pics attached. Any help determining gender would be greatfully received as my sons are becoming increasingly attached and we can't keep the roosters so I need to start managing expectations!!

So we have 1 mottled Orpington called Daisy (optimistically!) see pics below:[​IMG]
    and here is the silver laced Orp, called Peach:[​IMG]

Then we have x2 gold laced called Red and Aurora ... I can't tell them apart but one of them is my son's and one is my husbands so if we are lucky enough that one is a girl that will be Red! [​IMG]

Ok so that's introduced them, now here are a few more pics of them together:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I really have no clue now as I have read so much about sexing and I am totally confused thinking one day that I have all Roosters and then hoping that there are a couple of hens and then thinking that I actually have 4 girls! They have the odd moment of squabbling but much less so now moved to a bigger run, a bit of chest bumping went on a few weeks ago but this now seems to have settled down. No one seems to have a particularly bigger comb than another, maybe Daisy (mottled) has a more developed comb at this stage but only just. They all seem to have long legs and seem to be feathering up equally quickly. The feathers do look different to me between the two gold laced so I wonder if I have one of each. Is it just too early to tell?

Have fun taking a guess! Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Too early to tell.

3. lithiachick

lithiachick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    Very early. Guesses only. The mottled: Roo, Peach: pullet, Gold laced: one of each. I will subscribe and hope you keep us updated with pics as they grow and develop feathers, combs, wattles, and crows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by