4 wk old pekin ducks just starting on brewers yeast

ljrazzy

In the Brooder
May 6, 2017
my 4 wk old duckies feet are turned in. ive noticed its been a problem the last week maybe and i just got brewers yeast bc i think it could be from a niacin deficiency... they sit alot and get around for the most part but i am really scared their legs wont go back to normal... this is my first time ever owning and caring to ducks im praying i caught this in time... the one just recently seemed to get bad quick and now when standing he shakes a little but then stops. someone please help i just hope i caught it as their still growing and they will grow out of it since theyre only a month old and are now getting brewers yeast...

weather here hasnt been so good so weve been inside and i let them roam free after they swim in the bath for about 30 minutes... they roam in my downstairs for about an hour and like tonight, they werent interested in their food or playing and layed together almost as i put them down, barely walked around.. brooding in a clear plastic tub about the size of a bath tub. they are growing QUICK and im tld i baby them... they also sit/sleep next to their water in their brooder

when they're swimming in the tub the first 5 minutes they go crazy chasing eachother and dart around.. i also throw peas in for them and then dunk under catching them and then when theyre done i ask if they want to get out and she swims right to me, i dry her in a towel and the same for him. then downstairs to get warm under the heat lamp and they play. they had a great time last night but tonight was a bit differen after their swim. werent too interested in their food and wanted to lay. i received my brewers yeast today so i added it into their food around 4pm and a few hours later i noticed they ate all that food... maybe they were just full after their bath from peas and some chopped up eggs... i left their food in with them tonight hoping they eat it by the time i check on them around 7am..

when they're swimming in the tub the first 5 minutes they go crazy chasing eachother and dart around.. i also throw peas in for them and then dunk under catching them and then when theyre done i ask if they want to get out and she swims right to me, i dry her in a towel and the same for him. then downstairs to get warm under the heat lamp and they play. they had a great time last night but tonight was a bit differen after their swim. werent too interested in their food and wanted to lay. i received my brewers yeast today so i added it into their food around 4pm and a few hours later i noticed they ate all that food... maybe they were just full after their bath from peas and some chopped up eggs... i left their food in with them tonight hoping they eat it by the time i check on them around 7am..

Possibly tired...They are babies and do not run on our time...;)...Hopefully they were tired ....

Cheers!

I think they may have a good chance of getting over this but be sure to give them 1 Tab per cup of feed every day till they are at least 10 weeks old. Pekins do seem to have this problem more than other breeds because they were developed to grow fast [they use to be raised for meat and they wanted fast growers] They are still raised for meat but more and more people have fallen in love with their wonderful personalities too. So their legs suffer for the fast growth and bulk of their bodies. But if given good exercise and good feed [careful not to make them over weight] they can grow and live a wonderful healthy life. Are you feeding them chick feed still @ljrazzy ? They can begin feed called All flock which is formulated for all poultry and is much better for them. TSC carries it.

Please keep us updated on how they are doing.

And Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
i put about a teaspoon of brewers yeast in with their food. i knew i had to do something before it got too late and i ordered it with 2 day delivery didnt care about cost at the time. its not nearly as bad as pictures i see but on both of my little guys one leg is turned alot more then the other and they step in the other foot and stumble... i am so scared they wont get better and upset i messed up/failed them in a way and didnt get brewers yeast the week i brought them home. theyre on chic starter feed- almost done with the bag and then i will start the feed you suggested. they will probably be about 6 weeks when they finish this feed. the night b4 i recieved the yeast i went to walmart to look for the tablets and couldn't find anything that wasnt "flush free" so i brought home brewers yeast tablets and i believe flush free caps but didnt use either bc i didnt think they were the right ones. if you could help me out, would you mind including a link on Amazon.com of correct niacin tablets i should order? i am just heartbroken for my little babes
1f613.png
@Miss Lydia

Back
Top Bottom