4-wk-old pullet found on back, still alive.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3scorpios, Jul 27, 2013.

1. 3scorpios

3scorpios In the Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Central PA
    Just found a pullet lying on back - both feet up....no idea what's wrong. It can't stand up, just falls over. It was fine this morning.

2. 3scorpios

3scorpios In the Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

I don't know what to do for the poor thing. Anybody have a clue what could be wrong??

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Oh man, that give me a lump in my throat. It looks like a neuro problem. This is what I would look at. If she acts sick, I may think botulism. Look at the history of your flock. Is she new? Any others new? Possibly within the last 2 months? A carrier could stay healthy while making others ill. Have you thought about a bad peck on the head or even Marek's?

If she doesn't improve, you may want to think about euthanizing and sending her to a lab. At some point. You could stand her up in a sling in the meantime. I have made one out of a kitchen towel with 3 holes in it, and tied it to a pole or something, and place food at a reachable height. I can't make decisions for you, just try to help you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: