4 wk old Salmon Faverolle, gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by my4ladies, Jun 3, 2012.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    I've never owned this breed before. Do they fall into the easy-to-tell-gender category or hard-to-tell? [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. If it has pink legs with 5 toes and fuzz down the side, it is a salmon fav and it would be a boy.
    You can distinquish the boys from girls by the color they feather in

3. my4ladies

my4ladies Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    So I chose bad pics, lol. Here are two more. Can you tell from these whether it's a boy or girl?

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. my4ladies

my4ladies Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    Oh, and yes it does have 5 toes...so this is a boy? : ( It's that easy with them?...5 toes boy, 4 toes girl?

5. Looks like a boy to me, let me upload a couple of my pics to compare.
    *Edit*
    Uploading wasn't working well for me.... Both genders should have 5 toes on each foot
    Boy, age 6-7 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boy, 8 weeks - this one is my little freak, wonderful color at this age but his legs are yellow
    [​IMG]

Girl, 10 weeks
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  6. my4ladies

my4ladies Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    Oh, gotcha on the toes thing. Yeah, I knew it was a Salmon Faverolle, just unsure of the gender. Thanks for posting your pics. I think mine has a lot of dark in it and it looks like your girl has nearly none.

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Cockerels's breast feather in black or brown, pullets's breast feather in a very light salmon color. You've got a cockerel.

8. my4ladies

my4ladies Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    Thank you!

9. Snozzle

Snozzle Songster

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    It's a roo. Here is a pic of my 8 week old faverolles pair Boba and Sintas, you can definitely tell by now. If there are any nearly black feathers, it's usually a roo. These guys are so cool, my guys are so mellow and weird, I just want a whole flock of them lol
    [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Cockeral

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: