4 Wk Olds Fly? Who Knew?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by N F C, Dec 22, 2013.

1. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Our 2 RIR chicks just flew to the top ledge of the brooder (it's about 48" high). Is this something just particular to RIR's or should we expect to see our BR and EE's free-ranging in the living room along with the other 2 escapees soon?

We really didn't expect to see this until they were older!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Mine usually do it within a week. They fly onto the waterer then onto the edge. If you want to keep them contained you should look into higher walls for the brooder or some cheap deer or bird netting over the top.

3. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I always make sure there is a wire cover on my brooder. Chicks learn to use their wings very quickly when the feathers start coming in.

4. Wunjo

Wunjo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2013
    Monticello, Ky
    Yep that will happen. We had ours in a short brooder and every time I would open the lid to feed them they would start flying up at me. Some would escape and some would just fall off my arms and back in. I would suggest a screen over the top or multiple screens depending on the size of your brooder.

5. chickenlindz

chickenlindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    I had an Easter egger fly at less than a week to the top of the waterer. And it wasn't a hop!! It was a true flight and probably would have flown out if she wanted to.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Nothing un-usual and I put a wire screen on top
    so everyone and observe the growth and activity
    of the new ones with out them getting out and
    causing havoc [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by