4 wks old fighting seramas! What to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IcedMochaChick, Dec 8, 2009.

1. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    I have 3 serama chicks that are all from the same hatch. I just put them in a larger pen a few days ago, and today they are fighting! I mean really fighting, not playing. I don't know what to do! Does anyone have experience with this?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

basicly you have 3 options.

sell tickets to the fight
    let them sort it out
    seperate them

We do the 2nd, as long as they aren't doing major injury to each other in time they will settle down.

Steve in NC

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:So true! [​IMG]
    My motto? If they are not drawing blood, let them sort it out.

4. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Well, I turned off the overhead light. Now, they just have light from the window and their brooder bulb. That seemed to calm them down. None of our other chicks ever fought like that, it really freaks me out! They were dragging each other around by whatever they could grab! One of the chicks had faint smear of blood on it's beak. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If they still need heat, can you switch to a red bulb? That tends to help calm them down.

6. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Yeah, their brooder bulb is red. I think turning off the ceiling light helped. Whew! That really scared me! They just wouldn't stop. I hope this is the end of it. Thanks everyone [​IMG]

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    When I was growing up on a big chicken farm, I read that "They" (you know They, right? Capital They?) were tossing around the idea of red contact lenses for the layers. That way the birds would be calmer and friendlier towards each other. If the color red was so important to chicken serenity back then, I think the red light is the way to go!

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Red light is good. Large brooder so they can move around. You can also put things in the brooder to keep their attention like red cat balls with bells in them. Hanging bird toys that are colorful, shiny and maybe have a bell on the end.

Put flat topped rocks they can climb and roost on. Put a couple different roosts for them to sit on. Put in clumps of sod for them to eat and scratch on.

Good luck.

9. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    How big is their brooder? Sometimes some chicks need more room than others. What is good for some might make others fight. This is especially true of roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by