4 wks old,need grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by viktoriacl, Jun 27, 2010.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Hi! I have 4 EEs. They are 4 weeks old. They are on a starter/grower feed but are enjoying pecking around outside now. Should they be getting grit? If so what kind? They are on Nature Wise feed by Nutrena. Thanks

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    if there outside they are findind there own source of grit you can try construction sand its an exellent chick grit, offer it to them in a side dish. Most starter grower crumbs already have grit in it you might check the label.

3. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks so much. I did read the label. It doesnt say. It's a genric label for all the stages of feed and then there is a ticket like label attached that sayes what level of feed it is. I even checked the website. Nothing. They are in a temporary enclosure that is on the grass. Do you think they will find enough there if there isnt any in the feed?

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I bought some "play sand" from Lowes. It was fairly cheap like a couple dollars for a 50 lb bag. The sand is good quality, not that stuff they put on the roads for winter.

I used an old Tupperware bacon keeper and filled it with sand, put it in their brooder and stood back to watch the show!

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] 4 weeks old & getting outside. I'd say they are finding grit in the yard just fine. Save your money, you shouldn't need to buy any grit as long as your chickens have access to the earth outside. Watch them, you'll see them eating most everything they come near.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by