4 wks v/s 6 wks

KyCoop

Hatching
Oct 23, 2020
Central Kentucky
Hi everyone. Im new to chickens and I need some advice. I ordered 6 four week old chicks online and they will be here next week. Yesterday I ordered 2 six week old chickens from a different hatchery that will also be here next week. They may come on the same day or could be a couple days apart. Will it be OK to put them in the coop together or is 2 weeks too much of a age difference?

Sablehaven

Chirping
May 22, 2020
I have raised chicks two weeks apart, though the young batch were day olds. However, it was the cutest thing in the world. The older ones were gentle and protective, and the babies would sleep tucked under their wings.

I'd try it, but be prepared to seperate them if necessary.

KyCoop

Hatching
Oct 23, 2020
Central Kentucky
Thank you. I will give it a try. The older chicks are a Barnavelder and a Whyandotte. Both good natured I understand so, fingers crossed.

Sablehaven

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Thank you. I will give it a try. The older chicks are a Barnavelder and a Whyandotte. Both good natured I understand so, fingers crossed.
I've never kept barnvelders before, but I have had wyandottes and they were quite cool. Except Thalia who lived to make my life difficult.

Good luck!

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
Same here, definitely give it a try. I'd think the bigger the coop/brooder the better. Sometimes it can be this easy, just put them together and it goes great. With enough room I think it often goes well.

I have had chicks the same age cause problems. I had one two week old chick kill a hatchmate when they were being raised by a broody hen, then start in trying to kill a second. The same age and hatched together. Just something wrong with that chick. Stuff can happen so you do need to observe and be ready to take action if needed. But I'd think your chances of a happy solution are pretty good. I'd sure try it.

rayrose

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
Columbia, SC
My Coop
Since this is a new coop and home for both groups, there should be no territorial disputes. Just be sure to put them all in the coop at the same time.

KyCoop

Hatching
Oct 23, 2020
Central Kentucky
That was kind of my thought too. They have all arrived at a new home after a strange journey they will already have something in common. Thank you again. :D

Top Bottom