4 x 4 Goat Fence for run

waddles99

Songster
8 Years
Jun 22, 2013
NJ
Has anyone ever used the Red Brand 4x4 Goat & Sheep Field Fence for fencing in a chicken run? I have about 200' of it and I would like to use it to fence in a 2500 sq ft run, rather than pay $50 for a roll of chicken wire. I am worried chickens will be able to squeeze through the holes. In that case I might as well pay the $200 and fence it in with chicken wire. Breeds would be Rhode Island, Wyandotte, Barred Rock and other large American Heritage breeds. Oh and maybe some EE's.

Looking at your picture i know why you have that fence. They will get through that no problem. Sorry. I hate it when i have something lying around and i cannot use it for another purpose. So frustrating. You might want to try snow fence much cheaper just a durable and they make it in green instead of orange. I used it and it has been around for 3 years. I did 200 ft for around 50 bucks.

Looking at your picture i know why you have that fence. They will get through that no problem. Sorry. I hate it when i have something lying around and i cannot use it for another purpose. So frustrating. You might want to try snow fence much cheaper just a durable and they make it in green instead of orange. I used it and it has been around for 3 years. I did 200 ft for around 50 bucks.

Oh well, that's a shame. I guess that sacrificing the safety of the hens is stupid just to save some money. I'm going to need to find another use for them. Snow fence seems like a cheaper alternatve. Im going to look into it. Thanks!

If you have a local Craigslist there are 2 options. First, put the goat fencing up for sale for whatever you think it's worth. Someone will snap it up that needs "just" that much.

Second, price out how much cheaper it is to buy 200' of snow fence than say, 100'. Buy the larger amount, use what YOU need, then advertise the rest on CL.

When I did my chicken yard I bought 150' of 4' fencing at a KILLER sale @ Lowes online. Picked it up at my local store. Used about 80' & sold the rest of the roll for almost 2X what I'd paid for the whole roll, therefore making my fencing better than free!

Here is a very interesting chart I found at the Home Depot site. It seems that hardware cloth has the best uses. Its SO expensive though. 25' roll for $40. My run would cost $320 to make!

Woven wire is stronger than welded wire. I like the 2"x4" woven wire fencing better, and it will keep out more than 4"x4". However, for a safe run, hardware cloth, at least on the lower 3' of the run, is much safer, especially if used with the woven wire. Rats, snakes, and weasels can all get through small openings. Replacing a flock of dead birds is not fun, or less expensive. Mary

Woven wire is stronger than welded wire. I like the 2"x4" woven wire fencing better, and it will keep out more than 4"x4". However, for a safe run, hardware cloth, at least on the lower 3' of the run, is much safer, especially if used with the woven wire. Rats, snakes, and weasels can all get through small openings. Replacing a flock of dead birds is not fun, or less expensive. Mary

Id rather replace a $200 flock than erect a $300 structure.

Back
Top Bottom