4 y/o amerucauna not pooping and vomits after eating/drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brinkki, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Brinkki

Brinkki In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2018
    My two girls both finished their molt and one has laid about 5 eggs so far. The other is the one I am worried about. She hasn’t been pooping much and is not really eating. I have given her baths the past couple of days thinking she might have an egg stuck. After blow drying I have used a q-tip to put some Vaseline around the inside of her vent. Yesterday some cream colored mucus and a couple tiny round pieces came out of her. I put her back outside with her sister to stay calm hoping that the problem would fix itself. Today about her bath, a lot more of the little round pieces came out. Are these poops or something else?
    Also she does try to eat but have seen her throw up twice.. her sister goes running to eat it so not sure exactly how long she has been vomiting her food
    What can I do to help her? Any ideas welcome. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Sassysouth

Sassysouth Crowing

May 12, 2016
    Decatur, AL
    I am trying to think what that could be, but I have no clue. @rjohns39 do you have any idea?

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I may be wrong and I hope I am, but I have a recollection that I have seen a necropsy photo somewhere with similar material in the gut and I believe it was caused by cancer.
    I assume this bird has not had access to any berries or other food that might make dropping that looked like this.

chickens really likes this.
  4. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    What does her crop feel like? Is it going down over night?
    Does she have any abdominal swelling between her legs or around her vent.
    Regurgitating food usually indicates a crop impaction or a blockage lower down her digestive system, hence to check her crop and her abdomen. Compare against her sister.
    What is her body condition like. To check this, feel her breast area. Does her keel bone feel sharp under the skin or is it well covered? If it feels sharp and you are in a cold climate (your profile does not give any clue as to your location in the world?) then I would suggest that she will benefit from a heating pad.

Oh... and welcome to BYC.... since I now notice that you are brand new here. So sorry your first post is because you have a poorly hen!

micstrachan and SwtGrc like this.
  5. How is your girl? Is she still with us?

6. It could possibly be a impacted bowel that is obstructed.

7. Brinkki

Brinkki In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2018
    No access to berries but she did have a flake of Timothy & alfalfa for a bit. Would there be any other signs to look for if it were cancer?

8. Brinkki

Brinkki In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2018
    Her crop isn’t totally full...there is a mass lower down near the bottom of her chest this morning that I massaged.. above it there is a round lump about halfway up the front feels like a bone..
    There isn’t a lot of swelling between her legs that I can feel..and no swelling at the vent area.
    Keel bone? Is this the one in the middle at the bottom? I am in Florida but we have had a few chilly days recently. I can put out a heating pad for her.
    Thanks for the advice! I have been reading posts forever but luckily this is my first time that I haven’t seen my question answered and had to ask.

9. Brinkki

Brinkki In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2018
    She is hanging in there. Loves her baths... I think they make her feel the best as she stays in them willingly.

10. Brinkki

Brinkki In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2018
    Any way to help unobstruct it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: