4-year-old Could Be Sued for Negligence?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by greenfamilyfarms, Nov 2, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    And that is the exact reason I kick at bicycles that are being ridden within a 1 foot radius of me. Keeps me safe and little kids out of the perimeter of my kicking ability.

But really? Good Lord. Sue-happy family...

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm just in a devil's advocate mood today. What IF the family of this woman who ultimately died from her injuries were now stuck with staggering hospital bills that insurance would not cover. What IF this family asked the families of the children who DID cause the fall for some help with these bills and were told to *&(^ off. Once again, we are hearing only one side of the story and certainly the other side could be one of greed, revenge and anger but until I know the whole story I reserve judgment.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    the girls are NOT being sued.... the FAMILIES MAY be sued

copied from the article:

Can a 4-year-old be sued? Yes! Juliet Breitman and Jacob Kohn were racing their bikes when it crashed into 87-year-old Claire Menagh. Three months later, Menagh was dead. Supreme Court Justice Paul Wooten of King County, New York, ruled on Friday that the Kohn family could face a lawsuit for the accident caused by the two 4-year-olds

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    "who ultimately died from her injuries"

Re-read the article. It explicitly states that the cause of death was unrelated.​

6. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Broken hips are one of the leading causes of death in the elderly, I remember hearing. If the parent was present, why didn't they stop the kids from running into the woman? Yeah - suing a four-year-old seems crazy but as farmerlore said, there may be more to the story.

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Re-read the article. It explicitly states that the cause of death was unrelated.

The fact that she died a few weeks later does not preclude the fact that her death was related to her fall. Broken hips in the elderly lead to blood clots, strokes, heart attacks, and pneumonia.

8. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Quote:Re-read the article. It explicitly states that the cause of death was unrelated.

A meta-analysis showed that the risk of all-cause mortality is increased between five- and eight-fold in the first three months after the fracture, according to Patrick Haentjens, MD, PhD, of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, in Brussels, and colleagues. http://www.medpagetoday.com/Orthopedics/Orthopedics/19052

There's a difference between death being a direct result of a broken hip and being at higher risk of death after a broken hip; unfortunately, the outcome can be just as deadly.

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    because the cause of death was not released.. please lets not speculate....

coulda should woulda

maybe- what if.... that line of thinking is opening up a huge can o worms

she may have died in her sleep due to natural causes.... she may have died of cancer...... she may have died of Anaphylactic shock,,, who knows they did not say

10. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    This may not go over well, but what about all the elderly people we hear about on the news that drove their vehicles into crowds and nothing is done, but the loss of a license maybe? To sue or even make that you can sue a 4 year old is ridiculous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by