4 year old EE sleeping on ground and nit moving around much during day

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by montverdechick, Jul 6, 2011.

1. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    My favorite four-year old chicken seems to be going downhill. She sleeps on the ground and sits on the ground all day. Doesn't move around much. If she does go outside the run, she just sits under an orange tree and stares into space. Don't think she is eating or drinking much.

Could it just be her age? Anyone else have this happen to older hens? The other three I have that are her same age are fine...

Thanks!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Have you checked her for lice/mites? When was the last time she laid an egg? She might be eggbound. Have you ever wormed your chickens? Does she have bumblefoot?

3. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    You said she is sitting under an orange tree. If citrus is not good for chickens to eat then could it be a possibility that she has eaten some oranges and is now sick from that? [​IMG] I hope she is feeling better soon. [​IMG]

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    When did this behavior begin? She is quite ill.

Ditto above post re: question about when she last laid an egg. Concerned she might be an internal layer if it isn't parasites that are dogging her. What is her comb color? Nice and red or pale?

What is everyone's diet? Is her poop normal or greenish (which could mean she's not eating enough).

Really need to observe her closely....

JJ

5. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    We had to put her down today. She declined so quickly...I will miss her greatly...

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your loss. I wish you the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by