4 year old healthy hen dies suddenly

JoJo105

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2017
Hello everyone, new to the threads. This may have already been answered, but after doing a quick search i did not find an answer to the situation that just occured. My 4 year old wyandotte did not come back to the coop this evening. Went out looking for her and found her sitting in the woods. Because she had no signs of being ill, i assumed she was injured. After picking her up and looking her over, there were no signs of injury. I walked a few steps and heard and felt gurgling in her crop. I tilted her head down and foul smelling, light colored liquid poured out. Within a minute after this happened, she died :( this morning she was just fine. Eating, drinking, seen her on the nest 2 days ago (due to age, she laid 2-3 eggs a week) has anyone ever experienced this before? I have 3 other Wyandottes same age, and 5 each buff orpington and barred rock 8 months old. All act perfectly healthy.

Welcome to BYC, and I'm very sorry for your loss.
It is very difficult to say what could have caused her death without a necropsy.
If you still have her you can send her off for that, here is a list of labs by state: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
You can learn a lot and it provides information whether it was something that could affect the rest of your flock or not.
There are so many things that it could be in a bird that age. Virus, bacteria, internal laying issues, organ failure, cancer, parasites, blockages, etc. The list of possibilities is long.

Thank you for replying Coach. I've had my chickens 4 1/2 years. Never experienced this before. Only lost some to predators. Frustrating not knowing the cause. I buried her already soon after so necrospy is out but I thank you for sending the information. If this occurs again I will look into it.

Back
Top Bottom