4 year old hen can't seem to get legs underneath her

Glenbogel06

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 16, 2008
Berkeley Springs, WV
I've got a 4 year old hen that is suddenly acting very strange. On friday night, I found her laying in the run, and while she usually comes running when she sees me, this time she barely moved. She tries to stand up but seems to have a hard time getting her legs underneath her. When she does manage to stand, she takes a few limping steps then lays down again. More often than not, she tries to get her legs underneath, but ends up flopping to her side and using her wing to catch herself before settling down again, or kind of crab walking backward.

She is still eating and drinking really well and seems bright and alert. I have checked her crop, and she seems fine. I have checked her vent, and all clean there. I have felt her legs and checked her for cuts or abrasions, but again . . . nothing. I have just discovered that she has mites, so that might be the problem, but would that cause the problems standing/walking?

Right now I have her isolated in an area by herself with food and vitamin water. I have also been giving her poly-visol. Really don't think it's Merek's because there are no other symptoms.

Any opinions? I am thinking that she may have injured herself, because my mom said that she saw her "trip" when she came running out of the coop on Thursday.

I had a similar situation with about the same age hen. At first I thought the mites had caused it and she was just extremely weak. Now I feel like the mites were not the cause, but the bird was sick with something else and the mites were just opportunistic. Cleaned her up and sprayed for mites. Fed her lots of good protein, iron and yogurt and she got back to feeling better. Never completely, but was doing great for about 2 months. Then, a few days ago she relapsed and also developed sour crop. Two days later she died. Have no idea what the cause was, but I have taken her to the lab for a necropsy. As soon as I get the results (2 weeks) I will let you know.

Hopefully someone else will have some answers for you before then.

What breed is she?

She is an Americana. And of course she is my favorite. We had though about putting her down, but she really doesn't seem ill, she just can't stand up. She makes a go of it once in a while, and as long as she is on even ground she can get her feet underneath her, but otherwise she ends up inching backward then catching herself. Please do let me know what you necropsy shows.

I was told to put mine down as well and got angry anyone would suggest that. The only thing I worried about was if she'd get trampled when I threw the scratch out to them and if she could make it up to the roost. She never could...just made it to the dropping board below, but she was still okay. Hindsight? I would have done it exactly how I did, and let nature take it's course...but I don't have the stomach for killing - these are really pets.

However, the concern is if she spreads a disease.

Will let you know the results as soon as I get them.

Friday night, she tried to get up on the roost and made it a step up with great difficulty. So I grabbed her and put her in a cat carrier for the night. I brought her out with the other free ranging chickens under my supervision during the day, and she seemed to enjoy that, but again I put her in the cat carrier at night. Then the other day I made her a 2 x 3 area inside the coop that she could stay in, without fear of the other chickens trampling her. She seemed very contented with that. Like you said, I will "watch and wait" and hope for the best.

I'm having the same problem right now with an older duck. I went out to feed them two days ago and he was limping, and then walking fine a few steps, then he'd sort of fall over and flounder around on the ground using his wings for balance. He was still really interested in food and water, so I separated him into a nice quiet area with his own food and water. Today, he can't seem to get up at all, and is really tired and only wants a little to eat, but still eating and drinking. He also seems to want me to pet his neck and head, while he never wanted touching before. I have felt him all over and can't find a wound or broken bone that is obvious. I'll be watching to see what happens with yours, hopefully your hen and my duck both recover.

I am having the same problem and many other people are too. I have tried Poly-ViSol, Yogurt (calcium), Wheat Germ (vitamin E), Vitamin B, electrolytes, antibiotic, Wazine (wormer) and I believe thats all. She has been like this for about 4 months. I will subscribe to this topic and im interested to see the rest of the replies.

Well that's just odd. I hope you all have a better outcome than I did and I hope the necropsy gives us all some answers.

One thing I forgot to mention - after my hen relapsed I gave her bum a look (for mites) and found a sort of sore that was teeming with maggots. Have no idea how or where that came from. Maybe something like a bed sore from sitting in the same place for too long?? Maybe a symptom of a bigger disease. But if your bird is sitting a lot, may want to check that out daily.

Last edited:
Great tip about checking them out for "bedsores" if they sit too long. Didn't think about that, but it makes sense. Weird that so many others are having similar problems with their birds.

Back
Top Bottom