4 year old hen cant walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carmenchicken, May 14, 2010.

1. carmenchicken

carmenchicken New Egg

May 14, 2010
    I found my 4 year old hen Kelly in the nest box yesterday. I picked her up and put her out on the ground, but soon realized she cant walk or move her legs. Her wings move just fine and she uses them to move a bit. I have put her in a box and brought her inside with necessary food and water nearby. She is alert and eating and pooing ok, but it has no control of her legs.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    That is strange to just randomly pop up... I wish I could help but hopefully someone who can will chime in...

3. homesteadingcowgirl

homesteadingcowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    is it that she truly has no leg control or could it be that she is hurting inside and so is "curled up" in pain. Are you seeing any other symptoms? appearing to be straining, difficulty breathing, etc...

4. carmenchicken

carmenchicken New Egg

May 14, 2010
    She honestly had no leg control, they were just sort of splayed out. She used her wings to adjust her position. She stayed alert and then died in the middle of the night on Sunday. I have had no similar symptoms from my other birds.

5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I had an old hen that was the same way. I wondered if she had a stroke, she was like this very suddenly. We put her down.

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am sorry to hear that.. I too have to think stroke.. i truly think they are more common in chickens then we know.. It seems alot of folks have problems with the same thing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by