4 year old hen with dark purple comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jzervas92, May 1, 2017.

1. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    My 4 year old easter egger suddenly became lethargic yesterday. I haven't had any issues with her up until this point and she was even still laying eggs basically every few days or every other day. I brought her inside and to soak her, and I didn't feel any eggs inside her but her belly did feel squishy. It reminded me of eyp because she had some yellow in her diarrhea and the spongy abdomen. But she never stopped laying. A lot of her symptoms also match ascites or watery belly. I checked inside her throat I didn't see anything stuck I didn't see any sores. Her crop is completely empty. She's not showing any bubbling coming from her eyes or nostrils. I don't hear any wheezing/sneezing/coughing so I'm really not sure if she's having respiratory issues. She's at the point now where she can't get up, I can't get her to eat or drink, her comb is purple and she's breathing really heavy and fast. I cannot seem to figure out what's happening and I'm afraid she's going through organ failure or heart failure I just wanted to get some advice before I have to euthanize her.

2. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Also I noticed all of my other hens are having poo get stuck to their bottoms. Everyone is acting fine and it isn't a lot getting stuck to them, but this has never happened before until I changed their feed almost a year ago. I switched it because I thought it was a better quality feed. I switch between vitamins, probiotics, and apple cider vinegar in their water. I have wormed them before but now the only wormer tractor supply sells is the wazine stuff which I heard a lot of bad things about.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  3. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I'm sorry your bird is so ill. Most of the causes of ascites are pretty serious with poor prognosis, and I'm sorry that news is not more positive. Here is a quote from one site: "Caused by high blood pressure as a result of various conditions, including right ventricular failure, liver disease, liver damage, liver cancer, congestive heart failure, and insufficient pulmonary circulation. High altitudes, poor ventilation, and cold stress in early life can increase the likelihood of ascites." Here is the link to the site quoted : https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/Ascites-Overview-H289.aspx
    Sometimes you can make them more comfortable, or give them a little more time by draining the fluid. You can search here for posts on doing that if you are interested, you basically use a syringe to poke the area, and let it drain. It will not address the underlying issue causing the fluid build up, but may help her be more comfortable.

For these I'd get a fecal float test done if possible, many vets will do this even if they don't treat birds, to find out if it's parasites, and which one(s). The ingredients in feeds can vary greatly, even in the same feed from lot to lot. If you suspect the feed is an issue, I'd try switching again. There is nothing inherently 'bad' about wazine, but it only works on large roundworms, and it kills them all at once so if you have a bird with a very heavy load of worms you could overwhelm their system with a massive die off. Also, since you add to water you have to 'assume' they receive the correct dose. If you have a parasite other than roundworms, it will not be effective. My TSC carries Safeguard goat wormer (fenbendazole), which works on most common parasites, and you directly dose each bird so no guessing if they got enough.
    You can also use equine (horse) paste wormers that are fenbendazole. You can also use albendazole (Valbazen is a brand). Hope that helps.

4. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    She ended up passing away while I was preparing to euthanize her. It all happened so quickly I wish I could of been more of a help to her! I'm thinking of changing the feed again because I've never had this issue before until I started using this feed. The vets in my area have all told me they won't do the fecal test without seeing the chicken first, probably because they charge well over 100 dollars to even see the brid. I'll keep trying to convince them. I'll have to check my tractor supply and see what they have, are there any other wormers you recommend? Could this be from another issue I'm not aware of? Also thank you for your help I really appreciate it!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  5. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I'm very sorry for your loss. Often times the underlying issue is hidden until very late in the disease process, and ascites is the first symptom noticed.
    Sometimes they go quickly.
    I was looking for this post, and finally found it, wormers start on page 3 : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...fungals-coccidiostats-and-wormers-preliminary
    If you cannot get a fecal done, then I would use one of the broad spectrum wormers. Hopefully the pictures will help you in finding one. Then you can come back to this site for dosing help if you need it for which ever one you get.
    Birds get poopy butts on occasion with absolutely nothing wrong with them. Worms can cause it, diet can cause it (types of treats), hot temps can cause it due to increased water consumption.
    Sometimes it just happens. But if it's happening to all of them over a fairly long period of time, I'd be looking for a reason why. Changing the feed is certainly a good idea that will cause no harm and might help.

6. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Thank you for all the info I'm going to look into a general wormer. Hopefully something helps stop the runny bottoms!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by