4 Year Old Hen with Sudden Voice Change

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blue_Myst, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I went out to feed my chickens this morning, and I noticed something wrong with one of my 4 year old EE's. She likes to talk and has a deep-throated voice, but today she sounded like a dying duck mixed with a bugle. I've never heard a noise like it. It fluctuated quite a bit too, almost like it was about to break at any moment, and very husky.

I know it isn't wheezing, because it stops whenever she isn't chattering. She doesn't appear to have any difficulty breathing either; no gaping mouth or bluish comb.

I tried offering fresh water to her, but she wasn't thirsty at all. She's eating fine.

I'm stumped. Is this something I should be concerned about? All her roommates are fine. [​IMG]

2. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

She wasn't trying to crow was she?

I know in certain circumstances, hens can crow when there is no male around. they take on some make characteristics.

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I checked on her a little while ago and her voice was back to normal. I guess if there was something wrong it righted itself. It wasn't an 'emergency' after all [​IMG]
    She wasn't trying to crow was she?

That could be, but she wasn't in any 'roosterish' pose when she was doing it, but who knows!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by