4 years old NEVER been WORMED should I?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoldenSparrow, Oct 12, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    My chickens are 4 years old, and I have never wormed them.

I feel like I should. I dont see any worms, but a few of my chickens have died in the past two years of things unknown.
    should I even worm them?
    I have some Ivermectin, will this kill most types of worms?

if so, what is the dose?

Thank you [​IMG]

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I'd rather see you get a stool sample checked by a vet before adding dewormer. If they've made it this far, they might be more "resistant" to parasites naturally.

3. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    i dont have a chicken vet around here, will a dog and cat vet be able to do this?

4. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Sure. They just suspend the stool in some kind of liquid and look at it under a microscope. They look for parasite eggs. Check with the vet to see if he treats birds. Mine does.

5. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    There are natural dewormers, and I use them for prevention. I haven't had any losses yet, well other than a few predator attacks (grr...[​IMG]), and my birds are going strong (knock on wood). I use raw pumpkin seeds- pulsed into a paste and let the chickens dig in. They love it, and the rest of the pumpkin too. I do this a couple times a month, and i haven't seen any worms yet. But I would get a stool sample checked by a vet, just to be on the safe side.

6. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Of course, weigh the cost. A stool sample might be $15, but you already have the Ivermectin. Just hate to see treatments made without cause.

7. GoldenSparrow

Mar 11, 2011
    believe me, I have looked every where for a vet that treats birds. [​IMG]
    would it be normal for them not to have worms at 4 years?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  8. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Quote:I didn't know -raw pumpkin seeds? Cool! Perfect time of year too. Works for dogs also?

9. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    Quote:source

PM dawg53 he is a great source of information, and knows what to do, and what to use.
    Research some of his posts for starters. He is very good at responding back asap.

Just saw your page on battery hens-if your hens are battery hens rescues, I wonder if
    they had any special inoculations that made a difference. Good luck.

10. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Quote:Too bad. My vet likes to treat all types of animals. If you give him a heads-up, he even studies up the night before the office visit. It makes him more $$$$$.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by