4 years old rooster won't pick his head up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hayewefarm, Nov 7, 2014.

1. hayewefarm

hayewefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    my rooster started with wax in his ears and cleared the ears up and now he won't pick his head up? Always has his head under him, until he stumbles over then he'll get up walk around and back under him? I wonder if it's depression the hen he was cooped with passed away a couple of months ago around the time the build up in his ears. He eats and drinks and he's a standard light brahma and hasn't lost any weight just won't keep his head up almost like he has vertigo? When does stand up right he is wide eye and does his low burp burp noise no crowing. comb and waddles are red but by his ears they are pale?

2. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Do you know the cause of death for the hen?

3. hayewefarm

Nov 7, 2012
    no she was light when she died I've checked him for mites and I've given him of ivermectin to keep them away but we did hit 6 shows this year[​IMG]

4. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Could you get a picture? From what you're describing it could be wry neck, but I'd rather see a picture to get a better visual first.

5. hayewefarm

Nov 7, 2012
    his neck isn't crooked it's straight when he comes out for dog food or sheep grain and when he is caged he does come out for his water and food that are hanging I will send a pic as soon as I get back out to the barn

6. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

You're feeding him dog food and sheep grain? What else are you feeding him? Has he gotten into any rotten food? Sounds like it could be botulism.

7. hayewefarm

Nov 7, 2012
    our roosters reside with our livestock and guard dogs in a barn and the hens are in coops outside I feed blue seal pellets for the chickens blue seal grain for the sheep and blue seal dog food for great Pyrenees all dry food items. the chickens do eat what falls on the barn floor but that not all they are feed. they have access to pasture. none of my 30 other chickens exhibit this behavior.

8. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

It still sounds like it could be botulism. He might have eaten a rotten dead mouse or something. Are his legs ok? Walking stilted or off balance at all?

9. hayewefarm

Nov 7, 2012
    only off balance when head is down [​IMG][/IMG]

10. hayewefarm

Nov 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by