4 young laying hebs have bloody vents!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ckleavonish, Jan 12, 2015.

1. ckleavonish

ckleavonish New Egg

Apr 29, 2014
    I have 5 laying hens all under 1 year. Yesterday I noticed blood in the coop and found one hen with a very bloody backside. A lot of feathers are missing but I could not tell if the blood was oozing from her vent or the wound below it. She is in the dog kennel to avoid further harm. Now this morning I discovered 3 more hens that have bloody vents. 2 of them laid an egg already and they don't seam to be in any distress. My dominant hen has no issues that I can find but she keeps pecking the others but I'm out of kennels. It's 0 degrees outside so I don't think I can bathe them.
    If anyone can give me advice on what to do I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If she is the one who is pecking/bloodying the other hens vents, you have a real problem on your hands. Your only option is to separate her from the other hens - permanently.

You may be able to stop her pecking with pinless peepers. While wearing pinless peepers, she can not focus on spots to peck.

If you leave her with the hens she is pecking, sooner or later, she will peck one of them badly enough to kill her.

If she was mine, she would be Sunday dinner.......

1 person likes this.
  3. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    x2

4. ckleavonish

ckleavonish New Egg

Apr 29, 2014
    I put Miss Meanie Pants into the kennel and the 4 bloody girls are behaving nicely. Chicken noodle soup is a distinct possibility! This is not the first time she's drawn blood.

5. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    If she has a history of aggressive behavior, it seems the most logical choice would be dinner. Also the kindest thing for the rest of your flock.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by