4 yr hen - droopy wings - losing balance - losing weight?

Chicken Chiquita

Animal obsessed :)
Feb 11, 2020
Idaho
Alright so I have a 4 (?) year old hen Sesame, and recently she's seemed to have lost her balance, coordination, and mobility.
Today I noticed her out in the sun on the ground and concerned I went to check on her and she was struggling to get up. She also trips over things and is a lot slower than a couple weeks ago.
She looks unwell too, her wings as of today droop all the way down to the ground, and her fluffy butt is quickly becoming very dirty. Her comb is also slightly pale and she doesn't forage around in the yard anymore.
I'm very concerned, its been almost two weeks and she's just declining.
She also seems unable to get on the roosts and sleeps on the ground. I provided a bin full of bedding so she wasn't sleeping on dirt.
Any suggestions of what I should do or what may be wrong with her???
Oh one last thing, when I pick her up she is very very light and her breast bone sticks out so far.
Thank you so much for your time and help, I'm very very worried.

Some possibilities are cancer, a reproductive disorder, or crop disorder. Has she laid eggs recently, and were they normal? Is her tail position up or down? Is there any enlargement or swelling in her belly down between her legs? How does her crop feel—empty and hard to feel, full, hard, or soft and mushy? Get her cleaned up and tell us what her poop looks like. A bath might be too straining right now. Can you get her drinking some water, and give some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes? Will she eat some mushy watery feed or scrambled egg?

Some possibilities are cancer, a reproductive disorder, or crop disorder. Has she laid eggs recently, and were they normal? Is her tail position up or down? Is there any enlargement or swelling in her belly down between her legs? How does her crop feel—empty and hard to feel, full, hard, or soft and mushy? Get her cleaned up and tell us what her poop looks like. A bath might be too straining right now. Can you get her drinking some water, and give some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes? Will she eat some mushy watery feed or scrambled egg?
Thank you so much! I don't believe she's laid eggs recently. Her tail has been down recently. I can get some pictures of her poop soon. I don't believe she is egg bound. She has been eating and drinking well until today.

Today I went out and she was laying down, I thought she was dead until I noticed her breathing. But after more examining she appears to have what I think is called wry neck. Her neck was twisted and her head angled up, she is very distressed too. What can I do? Is there any way of saving her? Does this explain her other symptoms, or does she have something else on top of this?

Thank you all so so much!!!

After some more research I'm thinking she might have Mareks...
Is there anything I can do to help her?
I know that Mareks is incurable.
What do you guys think?
I believe one of chickens a while back had Mareks, and she had most of the same symptoms and that would explain how she got it.

Sorry for your loss. It would be a bit rare for a 4 year old to die of Mareks, but possible if she was exposed by a carrier. Your state or nearby state vet could do a necropsy and testing on her body to look for Mareks or another cause, if you keep the body cold, but not frozen. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Sorry for your loss. It would be a bit rare for a 4 year old to die of Mareks, but possible if she was exposed by a carrier. Your state or nearby state vet could do a necropsy and testing on her body to look for Mareks or another cause, if you keep the body cold, but not frozen. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom