1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

40 Eggs... DIY Brooder?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NSDUCKS, May 8, 2016.

1. NSDUCKS

NSDUCKS New Egg

May 8, 2016
    For anyone who incubated a large number of eggs at once, what did you use for a brooder?

Would love to see some do-it-yourself brooders that are large enough for 40 ducklings.

Or even two smaller brooders that fit 20 ducklings each.

Any ideas?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I used two puppy playpens for eleven Runner ducklings. Each had 8 panels 2ft wide. I used 6 mil plastic to make a liner that also turned up at the edges for about ten inches or so underneath, with old towels for bedding. I suspended ceramic heater bulbs at one end, and had an old sheet draped around to prevent drafts.

Note - I started with a 4 ft long Rubbermaid tub, but at two weeks they outgrew that, then I got one puppy pen, two weeks later they outgrew that, then we finished up with the 2 pens end to end. That worked, though it got a bit tight toward the end...but by then they were going outside for quite a while during the day (supervised).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by