1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

40 Hens in an 8x8x8 coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NewChick7, Jan 23, 2017.

1. NewChick7

NewChick7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2013
    I currently have 20 hens 4 of which are bantams the rest are RIR BR and a few other that are comparable in size. I picked up 20 more chicks. I currently have two roots and under the roost is a platform that catch the poop. I keep it very clean. I have 4 nest boxes that are attached but built outside of the coop but assessable for the hens from the inside of the coop We have five acres. The chickens only use the coop for roosting at night and laying eggs in the nest boxes. Their food and water is outside. I am curious if an extra 20 hens will fit? I plan on making more roost and poop trays. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'm not saying it's going to be impossible, but be prepared for the worst case scenario. 40 adult birds means you need at least 40 linear feet of roost. That's going to be difficult in that sized coop. That many birds means you're also going to need to clean it out daily and have a TON of ventilation in the coop to prevent ammonia and moisture build up in the air. You are also going to be risking overcrowding stress. Be prepared and willing to build a larger coop or reduce flock size.
    1.6 sq ft per bird is pretty small quarters, even if they are only ever in there at night. That is still a lot of poop getting produced, in a small space.

1 person likes this.
  3. NewChick7

Apr 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Definitely need more ventilation. I suggest you open up that wall with that big overhang as much as possible.

5. NewChick7

Apr 24, 2013
    Okie so more ventilationThere is some at the top of the walls but we can defiantly open it up more. I may only add 13 more birds. Thanks all for your replays.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    IMO 8x8 is tight, and under-ventilated, for even the 20 you already have.

What are your integration plans?
    What is your climate/location?

7. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    You could do 40 but you would need a ton of roost space and weekly cleanings.

8. chixmaidservice

chixmaidservice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2013
    I have a similar set up, free range on 2 acres all day, feed and water outside of coop, same number of hens in similar dimensions. I have built multiple levels of roosts and do still have my original small coop that houses about 6. The only problems I forsee you having depends on how hot your summer nights get. The hens really want room between them when it is hot and humid. They pull their wings away from their sides and take up way more space and are crabbier at each other. I have made my coop work because I can remove the boards that are up to keep winter cold off them and have mostly hardware cloth on all the walls. This way they get as much air circulation as possible. I do have expansion plans for this summer to deal w the chicks I will undoubtably buy this spring.

9. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    IMO, you're asking for trouble with that size coop. I have a 8' x 9' coop (+ large run) for 6 chickens. A lot depends on your climate though, a moderate climate free of predators where the chickens spend all their time out, only using the coop for laying may be fine. But if they need to be in due to bad weather or all night due to predators, I think it will be a problem.

10. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Way too small I think it should be at least 4X that size

Gary

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by