1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

40% humidity ok for still air????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MakNat, Jan 14, 2010.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Is 40% humidity and 101-102 ok for my LG still air.... Then 65% humidity day 18 thru finish? I got 2 new thermometers and a therm/hydro digital... My last hatch went so bad. I really want to try again!!

2. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I've read so many different things the last few days. Some say a dry hatch at 25% and some say up to 55%. Well I guess it can't get much worse than a 15% hatch.. Its at 40% and holding steady, so I'm gonna go with it...

3. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I am pretty confused now about it too. I think I am going to stick with 40 till lockdown ( sort of split the difference). It seems like temps are the most important, all things being equal.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you are holding steady at 40%, live with it. But don't worry if it starts to go down, let it. Then when it gets to 25%, add a LITTLE (1 oz.) of water. This should hold it at the right level of humidity. Then on day 18 kick it in the pants and bring it up to 60%. Mother Nature will take care of the rest. It is better to be a little low on the humidity than high, if it gets to high the chicks will drown. To low and the chicks have a hard time hatching. If this happens and you need to help a chick, place a moist tissue next to it. DO NOT TRY TO PEEL THE SHELL OFF. This will cause the chick to bleed.

5. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Sounds reasonable to me. [​IMG]

6. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Thanks!!!!! Wish me better luck!! [​IMG]

7. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps