40 week old Orpingtons still not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morganann, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Morganann

Morganann New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    I have two almost year old girls. They eat well, enjoy life, are free range during the day and have ano outdoor run after dark with an indoor coop. They eat bugs, chicken feed and grit, plus and kitchen left over a week have. They are comfortable following us around in the yard and let us carry them. They are especially friendly with my toddler and he usually has the food.
    But... they have never laid an egg. Ever. Their nests boxes are empty and untouched. What am I doing wrong?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Is it possible they are hiding their eggs? Try locking them in the coop or run for a few days.

3. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

QueenMisha has good advice. When I had my Buff Orpington pullets, we got them in April and they were laying by mid August.

I'd check to see if I could figure out where they are hiding them...if they see you watching them, they will be very sneaky.

4. Morganann

Morganann New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    The one just started laying. Shes had two eggs this week. The other still hasnt. Ive searched the yard there arent a lot of hiding places. I know they prefer my sons tree house for perching so i put a little nesting box up there but she laid her eggs in the coop. Fingers crossed she starts laying soon. I should mention i originally started with 3. Their buddy since chick hood was a rooster but he is so well behaved someone offered to take him to 4h. Since he left she has plucked out lots of her feathers. I bathed her and put vaseline on the area and shes left it alone since. I think shes calming down. Hes been gone for a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by