40 wk old Black Star, lethargic and appears to have white striated yellow diarrhea

Rooster50

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Just noticed this in the last week that one of my Black Star hens is keeping to herself, sometimes the only one inside our fenced-in pen while the others are roaming freely in the grass. A couple of days ago, she went into the fenced-in area as the others free-ranged in the yard, woods, etc. She pecks at scratch and dropped crumbles and drinks from the water device but doesn't do it in a 'frantic' scuttle like the rest of the flock (5 BS, 5 Columbia Wyandotte, 5 New Hampshire Red and one White Crested Black Poland rooster). When I went to see her, I noticed the dried white striated yellow poop stuck to her feathers. Thinking that her vent might be blocked, I used a soft cloth to remove the dried matter and then saw my first vent opening - which did not have any dried poop on it. There was some above it on her feathers so I washed that too. There were no feathers surrounding her vent in about a 3" diameter...is that normal? Anyway, tonight when I went down to close up the chicken pen and coop, all were roosting up high, mostly together and she was nested on the floor - never saw that before. I am extremely concerned that she is sick because she is definitely not acting like the others. Any advise for a new faux chicken farmer? Thanks.

Does she appear sleepy, closing her eyes a lot? Is she puffed up with ruffled feathers? Listen very closely to her breathing, do you hear any wheeze? Is she sneezing or coughing that you have heard? Does her tail Bob up and down when she breathes? Is their any mucus present? Have you checked her crop? Is it functioning correctly? How long has it been since she was wormed? Have you checked her for mites and lice? I know this seems like a real or of questions but each question can lead to a clue as to what exactly is going on with her. Look listen and feel for anything unusual and post the results. If you can answer these questions it would be helpful in getting a diagnosis. A bit more information is needed to make a good guess as to the nature of her problem.

hello your hen seems to possible have something called coccidious here ill put a link right here https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it. ohh and for you should treat all the birds with this even if they dont have it. this helps prevent the spread of it and probably should give them all elctrolytes this will boost the immune system with vitamins and minerals. goodluck and if you have any questions go ahead and ask.

Back
Top Bottom