400 chickens STOLEN!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by English Chick, Nov 25, 2008.

1. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    This is so sad......another Chicken Lady who lives a couple of miles from me and who sells her eggs big time.....four weeks ago bought in 400 new POL hens.........last Tuesday evening all the new birds where stolen from her chicken sheds!!! not a noise was heard by anyone in the house, her dogs didn't bark, and this was in the middle of the night! The police can't find any evidence as to who took them, no tyre marks etc etc. She is devastated and her business is ruined as she cannot afford to re-buy. The police think the birds may have been taken to Birmingham (UK) for use in the restaurants!

I feel for her and I am now worried about my birds, so am going to padlock my girls in at night!

There is also talk going round of beef cattle being shot and bled in the fields and the robbers take just the one carcass........ Deer have also gone missing locally.

Is this to become a sign of the credit crunch times?

2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    That is very sad!! I can't understand people who steal things. It is not very nice!! Did their parents not teach them stealing is wrong?

Such a world we live in these days. And it is bound to get worse, before it gets any better.

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    OMG,

now I am so glad I have a padlock on my girls coup.

This is so bad, this poor lady must be devastated.

As if things aren't bad enough here at the moment.

Take Care,

Jena.

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Seriously HOW do you even go about stealing 400 chickens?? [​IMG]

I have no idea where to start.

I am SO sorry for her. I don't know if it is a business is there flock insurance?

5. purplebaby

purplebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    maybe homeowners insurance?

sad state we are in! so sorry for her loss.

6. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    OMG that is horrible!!! I'm so sorry this happened.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That is horrible! It sounds like someone who has done this type of thing before to be so stealth about it. I can't believe they to 400 hens without making any type of noise whatsoever. They must be good.

I definitely would be locking my hens in at night if I were you. Mine get locked in every time I leave my house and at night. I don't trust anyone anymore. You can't. However, it sounds like a business is getting free meat there locally. I would encourage your neighbor to press the matter and see if someone can uncover what is going on there. It does seem fishy to me, that so many animals are going missing. Somebody around there must be using the animals on a large scale, like the police suggested. It almost sounds like they might know what is going on already.

I think you are right one when blaming an act like this on the credit crisis/global economy. Whatever you want to call it, it is going to be more and more common place unfortunately.

8. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Get a couple geese and some call ducks. Believe me when I say nobody can sneak up on them! They're little night owls and will give the alarm pretty quickly.

9. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Seriously HOW do you even go about stealing 400 chickens?? [​IMG]

I have no idea where to start.

I had the same thought - that's a lot of chickens.​

10. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

That is so very sad, Was she going to use them for just eggs?
    I cant stand to think of where they are headed for.[​IMG]
    Please God , protect them.:
    Im so sorry. Please look after your girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by