400 mg = 0.014109 oz HUH? COOKS HELP NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joebryant, Sep 18, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I have to give my chickens 200-400 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride per day in a gallon of water for seven days as a preventative just in case they might have caught the respiratory disease from my rooster that spent a week at the vet's.
    I know that 400 mg = 0.014109 oz . = 0.084654 teaspoon
    How on Earth do you measure out 0.084654 of a teaspoon?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It's a weight measurment that really doesn't convert accurately to teaspoons or any other volume measurement. I have no idea why they do it that way [​IMG]. I think your best bet is to just weigh it out either at home if you have a kitchen scale or throw yourself on the mercy of a local pharmisist and see if they'll seperate the powder out into the 400mg doses that you need.

3. joebryant

Quote:Great idea. Off to a pharmacy I go!

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Did you find a pharmacy that would help you? If not you may want to try a compounding pharmacy if you have one in your area. The one we have doesn't fill perscriptions, but they do customize them---when my son was about a year old he had to be on an antibiotic but hated the taste, now I'm a "mean"mom and have no problem holding a kid down if that is what it takes but too much medicine was being lost that way and I couldn't tell how much he actually swallowed. I took the bottle of antibiotic to the compounding pharmacy and they made it chocolate flavored--end of problem. Anyhow I was just thinking that if a regular pharmacy wouldn't help you that a compounding one might be more understanding.

5. joebryant

Quote:Thanks! Compounding pharmacy... never heard of such an animal. I'll call around just to see if there's such a thing in this area.
    "Curiouser and curiouser."

6. joebryant

My pharmacist used a special scale and measured out 400 mg. It's about 1/20+/- of a teaspoon. Since I have 12 bbs Orpingtons drinking the water, I put 1/10+/- of a teaspoon in two gallons of water. I have to change the water every day though because the tetracycline powder/water solution only lasts for one day.

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    You can also use a 1mL syringe. 1 teaspoon = ~ 5 mL. 1mL = ~ .20 teaspoons.

Or you can cut out a step -

29.6mL per ounce

Glad your pharmacist was able to help you!

ETA- I guess powder measurements don't work very well in mLs! [​IMG] sorry...

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] 'Round these parts..... it's 1 glurg! [​IMG]

9. jodief100

jodief100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    N Kentucky/Cincinnati
    It is a good idea to get yourself a nice digital scale. They can be had for around $40.

10. joebryant

Quote:I ain'ta plannin' t' be doing this that often. It was really a pain in the neck for my pharmacist to get it to 400mg on her scale.
    I'm going with the "about" method; it makes the world go around a lot faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by