43 degree heat-how to keep my girls cool

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hatrick, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Songster

Apr 4, 2009
    So for the first time this summer we will be experiencing extreme heat this weekend. It's supposed to hit 43 on Sunday and I'm just wondering about different ways to make sure my girls are cool.

2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    [​IMG]

Chef

3. Hatrick

Hatrick Songster

Apr 4, 2009
    Um, thanks for the advice about how funny my post is. I don't see why. [​IMG]

4. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Songster

May 12, 2009
    Wow, 43 degrees (Celsius, I'm assuming) is ridiculously hot. I don't envy you!

Here's a thread that ZooMummzy started about how she does it. Looks like she did a great job.

5. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Songster

May 12, 2009
    Quote:(S)He probably thought you meant in Fahrenheit units and that you were being playful.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  6. Hatrick

Hatrick Songster

Apr 4, 2009
    Unless of course you're thinking that I'm speaking in "American" terms about the heat, in Canadian speak 43 degrees=109 degrees. Not -8 degrees if my conversion is right. [​IMG]

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:I think they might have thought you were kidding, and not realized your measurement was in Celsius, not Fahrenheit. Sometimes we forget (by we I mean we in the USA) that not everyone does things the way we do! [​IMG]

Some folks use the following cooling tips:

put shallow pans of cold water out for their birds to cool their feet
    add ice cubes or crushed ice to waterers
    give frozen fruit like watermelon or cantaloupe
    give cold yogurt or cold right out of the refrigerator veggies
    mist the run (evaporation can cool the air temp several degrees)
    make sure they have shade (rig a tarp or sunshade cloth)
    make sure the henhouse has plenty of ventilation; use a fan

some people use misters on timers; they say their chickens like it; others say theirs don't. Some say when the chickens get used to it they'll wait for it to come on, they run around in the misty spray like kids at a water park. [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It is a funny title, since most of us here on BYC think Fahrenheit. May I suggest putting the C after 43, or putting the Fahrenheit temp in parentheses after the Celsius temp?

Nothing in your title and profile indicates you are in Canada, so the assumption is that you are in the US.

But yes, you have a serious heat issue there! My favorite way to cool them off is to fill a tub with ice and set a fan to blow across the ice toward the birds- it's works well for people, too.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  9. Hatrick

Hatrick Songster

Apr 4, 2009
    Thanks, I'll give some of those a try. Although I think the birds will fare better than me. I hate the heat, give me a cold Canadian winter ANY DAY! [​IMG]

Speaking of ventilation, does anyone have a link to any good posts on that topic? My husband is confused by the adequate ventilation thing paired with the no drafts thing for winter time. We have one vent on the side of the coop but you can smell ammonia in there already.

10. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: