43 eggs and one trip to the ER

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Cheryl, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

I think this is the right place to post this? I lost my silkie last night, found her under the deck/porch, she wouldn't come out, so I (nervously) left her for the night. But looking around with a flashlight I counted 22 eggs under there in about 3 different piles and no way at the time to get to them!!!
    Today...I go out at first light, let all the girls out and she comes out from under the porch... My son and I head to the Westford swap as chickn has some fertile eggs for me to throw under my broody cochin...who I had thought was egg bound earlier in the week, never having a broody chicken I didn't know what the problem was!!!! Now Wendy (ie chickn) points out to a guy with butterfly nets...Great idea, so we brought that home too one!
    Arrive home, deliver the eggs, she sucked them right up under her...look around, no silkie she is back under the deck. Yup, she's gone broody too!!! I tape the net onto a 6 foot bamboo pole and start rolling out eggs. I heard some really loud upset chicken and figure someone is getting bullied so I stand up and smash my head on a old fashioned metal door lock. I feel my head and have a triangular dent and lots of blood.
    YOu never say a man get up of the couch so fast...that would be the husband!!! I got my head super glued by the doctor, the nurses got a good laugh and I have a head ache!!!
    Back home again and with sufficient tylenol in me I continued hauling those eggs out... I have 43 eggs and by the different sized, all my girls have been under there in the last couple of weeks!!! I am now in the process of blocking all entrances and the silkie is in the coop!
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! Cause I sure couldn't make it up!!!

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Sounds like life is never dull.

Hope you feel better soon Cheryl,

maybe you hould go get some more eggs to go under the silkie as well now. ...lol.

Take care of yourself.

Jena.

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thats definately something I would do.. Feel Better soon..

4. crazy for chicken

crazy for chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Voorheesville
    the thing we do for our hens. feel better soon.[​IMG]

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

So here is a question someone might be able to answer, is there anything I can do with these eggs besides dispose of them?
    The silkie is now going out of her mind trying to get under the deck, I took 2 of her eggs and put them in a separate coop, but she wants nothing to do with them!!!! She is going to pace a hole into the ground in front of the porch!!!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can put them in a pot of water to test freshness. If they lay down they are very fresh. If they stand up they are still ok for eating, probably better boiled. If they float they are rotten. Toss em.

7. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Candles the eggs and see if any are fertile. If they are, stick some of them in a box and set her on it. Give her a place to hide with them, it seems like that is what she wants.

8. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe some of them are fertile and growing? Definitely candle and giver her a few if you can! [​IMG]

9. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    cheryl doesnt have a roo, so not fertile, i would do the test in water to make sure none are really old and boil them and take her out a plate of boiled eggs. LOL

cheryl, i cant believe you hurt yourself, i bet the nurses got a kick out of that story. never a dull moment.

i remember when i hurt my back lifting the double rabbit cage, they all laughed at the doctors, i am like, what, it was a double, very heavy!! LOL

should have taken a dozen eggs home for the girls to sit on. poor things. lol

well, glad it wasnt worse. heads bleed like crazy ha. hope your headache gets better, darn birds!

10. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    No Roo, [​IMG] well, if you are going to have that many eggs, you need one. Then you can hatch your own and hatch and hatch and hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by