1. Stephan222

Stephan222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    Someone suggested I post this in this forum . I have a chicken that isn't like my other hens(17 weeks) . Meaning she isn't as vibrant as the others . Her comb is dull the waddle and skin around her eyes is dull pink kinda grayish my others are red and there yes are bright. They all are the same age. And she stinks bad ???? I checked her for parasites ???? Any ideas --- maybe worms if so what to do I'm new and am just wondering oh yeah and her feathers aren't as full she's not as fluffy

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Figure out where the smell is coming from- open her mouth and look inside + check the roof of her mouth and the slit (choana) up there for anything unusual. Check her bottom area (vent). Check her whole body carefully for infected wounds. I think when you find the source of the smell, you will find the reason she looks unhealthy. I would separate her from the others so you can see if she is eating & what her poops look like. Also feel her crop to see if it is full, empty, gassy ect. My guess is you are going to find something smelly in her mouth or around her vent. When you figure out where it is coming from- we can help you more. Yes, worming is not a bad idea.

3. Stephan222

Dec 28, 2010
    I'll do this as far as worming /I've read the post on worming but if u could give me the short break down on how to proceed and what to use that would be most helpful I'll isolate her and check top to bottom thanks for the reply

4. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Pick her up and run your hands under her belly and her wings. hold her head in your hand untill she stops squrming and open her beack look around and see if there is anything out or the norm. if you need to know what the "norm" is look on you other hens. search through ALL of her bum feathers and find the vent. any poop or discarge around on her feathers?

5. Stephan222

Dec 28, 2010
    What am I looking for in her mouth ???????

6. mypicklebird

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Something that looks different than a normal hen's mouth. If you do not know what normal looks like- you need to find some healthy hens to look at.

Quote:

7. Stephan222

Dec 28, 2010
    And that translates to what

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    means..pick her up and check her over real good.
    Check your other hens also... see if there is anything different between the healthy ones and your sick girl.

9. mypicklebird

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Do your homework- look in some hen's mouths that you think are healthy- then look in the smelly one's mouth. Do you see anything that looks different? If so- describe it, and someone may pipe up and say- oh that sounds like canker- treat with x, or that might be coryza- treat with Y, or that sounds like a fishhook do this ect.
    I am not trying to be unhelpful- but you need to pick up your hen and look her over carefully and locate the source of the stink. The problem may be obvious once you look- like gleet, an infected wound under the wing, necrotic prolapse ect....

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by