45 week old Ameraucanas still not laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sakmeht, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Hi All,

I expected these guys to lay this past fall, but no go. We're now in the middle of winter and no squatting although they are red enough in the face. Could they start laying this winter or do you think they'll go until the days get longer?

Thanks

2. DanielleinLA

DanielleinLA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have two Ameraucana hens, one started at 40 wks, the other at 47 weeks. The days are already getting longer, you should get an egg any day now!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can you post pics?

The days are actually getting longer now, so chances are they'll start laying in the next month or so.

4. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Thanks guys - I know I just need to be patient. They threw me for a loop because my black sex links and easter egger were laying at 19 and 24 weeks. lol

[​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do they have range of the yard during the day? If so, you should go on an egg hunt. My free range birds were always hiding eggs. Or confine them to the coop for a few days and see if any colored eggs show up.

6. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    I vote for the egg hunt. Ours started laying just before Thanksgiving, were getting 2-3 eggs a day from 4 hens and were thrilled that they were laying in the nest box even though they free range in our yard. Then just after Christmas, the door to the coop blow shut, I know they had to have layed somewhere. Found a nest in the bushes with 22 eggs. Wish I'd looked sooner.

7. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Maybe I'll start looking around the yard. We're going on 48 weeks now and no eggs. But also no squatting. I go to hold my hand over them and they just scuttle away.
    It's really frustrating.

8. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    I guess a vent check might also tell me if they're laying or not. Now I just have to catch them. They're not as friendly as my others....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  9. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Just took a thorough tour of the backyard and didn't spot a nest. Guess I just have to be patient. I might do a vent check, but yeah - I'm just really looking forward to those blue eggs!

10. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    That's a long time to wait! I have both EE's and pure Ameraucana. The EE's took forever to lay, and I expected to wait that long for the Ameraucana. Well, I waited forever - and then some more. But, I think it was only 35 weeks or so. Yours don't look very red in the face, are they? Are you positive on their age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by