450 to lose jobs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Mar 3, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So our newspaper is printing that the local university is to lose 450 jobs due to budget cutbacks. The administration is not specifically saying anything. They are saying that they MIGHT do certain cutbacks but that they aren't going to say until May. They MIGHT close down whole departments. They MIGHT cut all the full time temp positions. They MIGHT cut all the adjuncts. They MIGHT up everyone's workload. They MIGHT "furlough" us for a day a month (meaning that they expect us to work, but they just won't pay us). What they haven't said they will do is cut anything in the athletic program (except the band) and that they aren't cutting administrators (except for their secretaries and such).
    The worst part is that they promised to make a decision by January so those professors let go would be able to apply at other schools. Hiring decisions are being made right now (not that many places are hiring). By waiting until May they pretty much guarantee that we won't be able to find work anywhere.
    I am slightly freaking now. I LOVE my job and work hard at it. If it goes away I am up a creek as I am the only support for my world. One income here. I would have to go back to freelancing again and would lose my health insurance (which as I have Crohns is a horrible thing).

AUUUUGGGHHHHHHHH!!!! I can't stand not knowing!

I don't know whether to [​IMG] or [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think I would be [​IMG] I will keep you in my prayers.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I am really sorry to hear that, it is very hard on everybody these days, and the health insurance Oh God it is so important, since 2003 we don't have any health insurance and it is real hard on us when one of us does not feel well.

well I hope till may they might change thier mind and no body will even has to lose his or her job.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] I am soooo very sorry to hear this. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. [​IMG]

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Hubby works for a large company that has places all over the east coast, Nevada and California. I worked there 10 years, they have always stated they do not lay people off. Right now, they have implemented 32 hours every other week, which means at paydays every 2weeks he will always get 72 hours instead of 80. They also stopped matching 401K contributions.
    With me out of work and fighting my Unemployment, this is scary. Reason why I used my Tax Refund to pay off bills.
    His company also is letting people take days off unpaid if they want to, in fact they are encouraging it.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Thanks for the prayers, y'all.
    It's been quite a year already. First this has been hanging over us since fall semester started (and just keeps getting worse and worse in its scope) and then we found out a couple of weeks ago that Daddy may have lymphoma. He should have test results back tomorrow afternoon so we'll know if it's lymphoma (easy to treat) or something worse. He just keeps getting sicker and weaker everyday.
    I know God has a plan, but sometimes it's really hard to figure out how good can come of all this...

7. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    You have our prayers here at my house.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    CityGirl, my DH has Crohn's and I completely understand your worries. I will say an extra prayer for you tonight. [​IMG]

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I can relate. I have been out of work since January 20th, my septic tank needs replaced this year, which will cost all of our savings, and I just got word today that my husbands company is laying off workers as well. H ecould be laid off next week.[​IMG] Prayers to you and everyone else who is going through this, we all need the extra prayers.

10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Lockedhearts and Smokey- prayers for you as well. This economy stinks!

BYC always makes me think of the Blanche Dubois quote from "A Streetcar Named Desire" (the Tenneessee Williams play). She says "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers". Daily this site is full of the many kindnesses of strangers. It touches my heart.

Thanks again for the prayers all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by