$46 hen house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by duckidaho, Feb 22, 2009.

1. duckidaho

duckidaho Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    We built a hen house for $46 dollars. We salvaged an old scraped tool shed with no roof, windows, or door. We moved it from a neighbors house. We bought plywood and hinges and built the roof and door. We bought to old frame windows from a salvage yard. My friend has some roofing shingles we can put on left over from another project. We might paint it just as a luxury to make it look cute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chicks arrive in 10 days. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
  2. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    That's awesome! Congratulations on your ingenuity and hard work. The new chicks will have some great new digs to call home. [​IMG]

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Looks good, the only thing I would add is some ventilation . They need some air flow.

What kind of chicks are you getting??

Nancy

4. duckidaho

Jan 30, 2009
    We were thinking of drilling 20 1/4 holes near the top for ventelation on each side. Is that enough? We are getting Barred rocks, opingtons, araucanas, and leghorns.

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    You'll need more than that in the summer (if it gets really hot where you live). See if you can't get windows that you can open and put hardware cloth on the inside to keep predators out when you leave them open.

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG]

7. duckidaho

Jan 30, 2009
    Oh ya, the windows open. No problem there. [​IMG]

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Insulation will do wonders to keep it cool during summer and warm during winter. The metal sheds can really heat up during hot sunny days.

Nice job!

bigzio

9. duckidaho

Jan 30, 2009
    What's the easiest/cheapest way to insulate? Straw bales on the outside walls? Other suggestions? We were worried about that part of having a metal shed.

10. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool!! [​IMG] Good job on coop!! Feels good to save money , huh??

And you are getting the exact birds I choose , too!!! Mine arrive April 2 [​IMG]

I wanna see the finished coop when your chickens are moved in !!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by