Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lolmom, Mar 29, 2011.

1. lolmom

lolmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Tell him he's right! It's far better to eat birds that have been locked away in a dark house with thousands of other chickens for their whole lives and then kicked and thrown into cages, driven down the highway, and transported by conveyer belt to their deaths. Who would choose a bird that has been raised in the sunshine and open air, given good food and the chance to scratch for bugs, then processed humanely without any of the stress of transportation? Clearly the first option is far better.

[​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hehe....He just eats chickens, doesn't get to know them.....[​IMG]

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] In this day and age we have gotten to far away from where are food really come from. Glad I visited my grand parents farm it taught me a lot.

6. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I don't think there's any reason to get mad at him. He isn't a hypocrite at all, he's just stating his opinion and he's entitled to it.

Most people aren't familiar with chickens, raising them, or using them to make eggs.

I've heard lots of weird comments and very negative ones. So what. There's no need to get upset about it.

I'm sure we all do the same on some subjects - make a comment that would offend someone with a special interest.

A hypocrite is someone who says he would do one thing and winds up doing another - this guy hasn't done that. He just made a statement of a like/dislike he has.

Not everyone has to like what I do for me to enjoy doing it.

7. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I've never considered eating one of our chickens. Threatened the
    rooster a few times...but he knows I won't do it.

Eggs? I give them away every week. No intention of selling them.

Then why in the world do I even have chickens?

Pets...they please me. Calm me. I enjoy them.

Are they well taken care of? Certainly. A nice home. Let them free
    range, they'll jump in the car or follow the tractor. Pure pets.

Do I care what other people think about it? Not at all. My chickens.

I also have a three dogs and two cats for the same reason. It pleases
    me to do so.

8. lolmom

lolmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  9. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Yeah, one of the crazy drama llamas here freaks out at the idea of eating chicken I bring in, yet she happily eats Chicken Nuggets from McDonalds.

Gee, chicken who were raised on grass, running around like chickens, killed kindly and processed correctly for big chunks of lovely fresh chicken. Or chicken parts from birds who couldn't turn around, don't know what grass is, don't have a decent life. Yup, those chicken parts are clearly better.

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm a vegetarian who keeps chickens just because I love them as individuals, not because I want to eat them. I don't keep them for eggs, either, that's just a free perk of having chickens around if you ask me. I don't eat commercially raised eggs, so if for some reason my birds stopped laying I just would refrain from eating eggs. My chickens stay with me from hatch day until the day they die of natural causes, with the only exceptions being re-homing the occasional bird to excellent homes only. My poultry are all spoiled rotten and loved dearly.

I think what he's saying is somewhat hypocritical because he is implying that keeping chickens in the backyard and eating them is somehow crueler than eating commercially produced chickens, which he apparently does eat. Sounds very naive if you ask me. It's amazing how many people buy into the myth that commercially raised animals are all treated like royalty and carefully monitored their whole lives. I've had many people who don't know better tell me that they're certain the animals they're eating were treated well, and when asked how they know that it becomes apparent it's just a naive assumption. I'm opposed to killing animals to eat regardless of the situation, but of course between the two I believe backyard-raised chickens are much, much less cruel than the commercial broiler operations.

Interesting how people get their heads on backwards like this. It sounds to me like simple ignorance rather than anything else, though. My dad (!) still occasionally buys a carton of eggs rather than asking me to bring him a dozen for free, telling me that the fresh eggs from my chickens are "icky" because he knows where they come from. Same kind of mindset.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by