1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

48 eggs digital incubator's humidity level is too high!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by andyng007, Jul 6, 2015.

1. andyng007

andyng007 New Egg

Jun 18, 2015
    I have an 48 eggs digital incubator, auto eggs turning. I don't know why the humidity level is too high. The digital display shows the the humidity level is 92%. If I open up the lid a little bit, the humidity drops down to about 75% but the temperature also drops. Has anyone have a similar problem like mine? How can I lower the humidity down to ideal humidity range 60% or 65% without affecting the temperature. Thanks.

2. 303hunter

303hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    If humidity is that high, you have too much water in your incubator, or it is spread out too much.
    Try keeping the water concentrated in a smaller area. It's also normal for temp/humidity to drop when the lid is opened. It's best not to open it unless you have to.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If you are in the first 17 days of incubation 60-65% is, in my opinion, way too high. I would conisder running dry and monitoring the air cells for humidity control. Unless you are in a high elevation, I recommend going with this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity I highly recommend it for the styrofoam bators, but I also have confirmation that it works well in the Janoel and knockoffs (which is basically what the 48 egg incubator is.) (As long as you have accurate thermometers/hygrometers.)

My first question though would be have you ever checked the incubator's gages for accuracy? You should always check all thermometers/hygrometers to make sure they are accurate. At least have an extra to check them against.

Humidity is controlled by controlling the surface area of the water. The greater the surface area, the higher the humidity. You need less humidity you decrease the surface area of the water. Depth of water will not change the humidity levels. Many people can run dry the first 17 days and still maintain humidity above 25%.

If you are at lockdown, anything between 65-75% is a good range. If you are hands off you can get away with 60-65%, but if you are a meddler and you open the incubator during hatch you want that humidity up around 75%. (On the average. Some bators hit the condensation point at lower levels and can be cut back to a lower humidity level. If you are seeing condensation you know you have more than enough and can cut back about 5%)

4. andyng007

andyng007 New Egg

Jun 18, 2015
    Thank you so much for your advice. One more thing that I like to ask...since yesterday my incubator temperature is dropped below 83 degrees celsius. It stays around 35 degrees celsius. I even sealed the injection hold but the temperature still stay around 35 degrees celsius. Could it be something wrong with the heater inside the incubator?

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It should be about 37.5 celcius or 99.5 farenheit. If you are at 35C that's almost the equivalent to 4F degrees low at about 95F. I would say your thermostat is off and would higher the heater if you know that your thermometer is accurate. If the heater itself won't go above 35C and it's sealed properly, then I would say you need a new heating unit. You can try having a light such as a brooder light aimed at it to help increase the heat, but you want to keep a close eye on it.

6. andyng007

andyng007 New Egg

Jun 18, 2015
    Hmm...I didn't think about that. I'll try to put a light inside the incubator later this evening see if it helps. Thanks for your advice, Amy.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    My last hatch we were still having cool nights and since my bator is across from where my brooder set up is I just aimed my brooder light (which is a red one) at the bator to give it that extra warmth instead of taking the chance of adjusting the lg 9200 and having it spike in the night. It worked well, gave me just enough warmth to keep it steady at night when it was cooler.
    Hope you get it straightened out. You're welcome.

8. Danster1001

Danster1001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    Lichfield UK
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I have placed my eggs in new incubator and the humidity is reading 70% but there is no water in there please advise thanks

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Have you ever tested it for accuracy?

10. Danster1001

Danster1001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    Lichfield UK
    My Coop
    I have a separate hydrogometer which has proved to be quite accurate on my first incubation over the last 4weeks
    I may buy another to make sure, it's reading 60% but there is no water in the incubator, it's bran new

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by