48 hrs after first pip. Should I intervene?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tatswell, Oct 15, 2016.

1. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    It's been 48 hrs since the duck started pipping and hasn't pipped since. I see him in there breathing and moving around. Should I break more pieces of the shell off or let whatever happens happen. I obviously do not want to compromise the ducks health or its own strength.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Seems like a pretty long time for him to be struggling - I'd start assisting. Some people won't help under any circumstances, fearing that a developmental problem or weakness is responsible for the hatching difficulty, and let nature take its course - I don't ascribe to that philosophy.

If you choose to assist, take it slowly and try to proceed incrementally (don't go peeling him out of his shell). I use this guide: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.

Good luck!!

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

@Miss Lydia should be able to help you...

Good Luck

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  5. Jayzandra

Jayzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

My duck eggs started pipping yesterday and everyone tells me it can take 3 days.

6. chickens really

Not with Ducklings I have ever had...12 hours once egg is cracked....Believe me I cheered them on....Used to raise Ducklings for a friend....Then a Duckling imprinted on me and the rest is history....I have 5 bratty Ducks...

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  7. Jayzandra

Jayzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. chickens really

I was told to keep the moisture up higher to keep the shell from drying out....Easier for them to get out of a damp egg shell...

Cheers!

9. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    She is still in the same position. I followed some of the suggestions that ffn posted- opened the shell a bit more so that the beak is free and stopped. Checked on her this morning and she is breathing but she seems stuck! What's worse is this is my first hatch! Ahh!

10. Kroelies

Kroelies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    I'd help her out now. Very carefully ofcourse. Did any of the other eggs hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by