48" wire farm fence - information needed.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joebryant, May 19, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Let me preface this by saying that I don't know beans about farm fencing. I'm hoping some farmer on here can help.

I want to make tomato cages with 48" fence material. I've seen some that has opening in it that are about twelve+ inches long and six inches high.

I do know that farm fencing comes in 330 feet rolls; other than that, I'm blank.

What should I ask for, and where can I buy it. Thanks

BTW, I tried Tractor Supply, and my local store had only openings that were about six inches by six inches. Maybe I should have asked if they could order it with larger holes.

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I think the 6x12 stuff will be too weak to do what I think you're wanting to do. We had a major downtown "revitalization" project and I managed to score some of the stuff from the project manager (he drank our coffee every morning [​IMG] ). I think the only way that this specific wire (there may be other versions) would work is if it is nailed between some posts or some kind of framework...great for beans, squash, even tomatoes if you want to be tying it up...but it'd never work free standing.

I think what you're really looking for is concrete reinforcing mesh. It comes in a 6"x6" grid and is often cited for use in gardening. It's a lot stronger/stiffer than the fencing is. Get it at a building supply store.

Hope this helps a little.

Best wishes to you,
    Ed

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    As for Field Fence, that is the common name for it. Trust me I have bought umpteen rolls over the years......

4. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    could it be that some of the wires were cut to create the 12" spaces... with a 6x6 fence that could be done.

Also, the hog panels TSC sells are very sturdy and can be cut and formed for what you want. We use them to make our kennel panels for the dogs.

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I dunno, seems cutting the wire to make a 6"x12" hole might weaken the smaller-wire structure. Now the thoughts of using the hog/cattle panels are a whole different story! Not a bad idea at all! Thanks!

Ed

6. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

6x12 seems rather large for tomato cages. I'm using either 4x4 or 6x6; I'd have to go out and measure. And what I have isn't fencing material but construction material. It goes for about $150- for a 100 foot length around here.

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I made tomato cages yesterday. I used concrete reinforcing wire bought from a lumber company. It is just shy of $100 for a roll 5'x150'. It, however, is 6x6" and is way sturdier than woven wire fencing. Not sure why you're wanting such large holes Joe, the 6x6" should be fine. I cut the fence every 12 squares tight up to one vertical wire leaving long stubs on the roll side to use for hooks to connect them. Done this way, you will get 25 cages that are 5' tall and 2' across.

8. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I agree that concrete reinforcing wire is the way to go, but it's pricey, IMO. They should last just about forever.

9. grundail01

grundail01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Dustin Acres
    I used the welded wire used as support in concrete slabs, works great and they are 6 years old now. It's a 6'x6' grid though and comes in 6'x20' sheets or rolls ( no idea how long the rolls are)

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Quote:It is pricey, but really, you get 25 cages for $100 so IS it really pricey compared to premade flimsy cages?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by