1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4day old baby chick problems

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kckane68, Mar 4, 2016.

1. kckane68

kckane68 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    [​IMG]I have A four day old baby giant blue Cochin female. She will not eat or drink on her own, and she sits back on her heels when she sitting. She can walk but she's very wobbly, and she seems to always want to hide in a corner and not be with the other 3 chicks.

I have been feeding her electrolytes, as well as egg yolk thinned with a little bit of water. We've been doing this with a dropper. She occasionally will drink water on her own, but not very often. I have never seen her pack and scratch and eat on her own.[​IMG]

I'm looking for advice on other things I can do to help her eat and drink on her own, and a possible explanation for why she might sit back on her heels. I do not think she has crooked toes or splayed leg.[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    It doesn't look good. My guideline / golden rule is that chicks will survive if they can stand, eat and drink. If they cannot, as this one cannot, then they won't survive. research pasty butt and rule out that, which you could fix. Don't know what else you can do. If or when you decide it's not for the best then this is my advice for dispatching a chicken.

Quote:

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If the solution you are giving her is just electrolytes I would add vitamins. They can usually be found at TSC or your local feed store.
    Also see if she will eat wet chick starter. Take a little and mix it with warm water. You can put in a on paper plate or in a shallow dish. Tap or peck the edge of the plate/dish with your finger, this "mimics" mom pecking at food.
    What is your brooder set up like? Can you post pictures?
    She is a cutie pie, I hope she improves soon.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    X2

Also want to add, be careful using syringe. I've had a baby chick aspirate before. Will the baby peck droplets off your finger?

I've had a chick just like yours (sitting on heels, not eating, lethargic, and constantly chirping). My girl didn't make it. I hope yours pulls through. :hugs

1 person likes this.
  5. dragonmomma

dragonmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2015
    maine
    Im having a similar problem with a few of my babies I picked them up thursday morning the arrived wed evening and no one called me so they sat all night in the post office :( of 31 chicks 6 were doa when I took them out of the box. I am down to 14/31 I called the hatchery the day they arrived I was instructed to call back monday to report all losses. I have 3 left not doing well. Very sleepy and wont eat or drink one their own. I have been using a jar cover with honey water and a little mash mixed in and religiously dipping thier beaks. They will drink a little if I do that last year I tryed a syringe and the one weak one ended up aspirating the water. I blame the post office for my chick Armageddon they sat all night in there and ut was 55 or 60 on there when I picked them up. Anyway last year I only lost 1. Its so very sad one came back from death with the honey mash water and is now doing great. Amzingly enough it was my tiniest chick she is an Egyptian I ordered 2 and they both survived apparently they are very hardy babies! The kids named the tiny one cloepatra. I dont have much more advice to give other than what I have been doing. Im hopi g I can keep the kast 3 weak ones alive. We will see. I second the poking the food if you can get it to wake up enough to watch you thats how I got the rest to start eating and how I got last years to start eating this shipment is heart breaking for me! I have another shipment coming late april it has less chicks its looking like they will end up being paid for by the losses on this order. :( Best of luck !

6. kckane68

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm using an electrolyte and vitamin solution. My first thought was that she was undernourished. Also, I extrude a drop of yolk (or electrolyte/vitamin water) from the dropper and put the tip at the side of her beak. I don't force anything into her beak. Sometimes the drop makes it in, and sometimes not. She can stand and move, but despite me showing her how to peck with my finger, she still won't feed herself. Occasionally she will drink on her own. My brooder is scars board box. The temp is 92. That seems to be their magic number right now. Paper towels sprinkled with pine shavings, ckeaned and replaced 1-2 times a day. She likes to snuggle up next to a stuffed bunny I have in there. Starter feed in feeder and scattered. [​IMG]. I think I will continue to hand feed her through the weekend, but at some point she has to learn on her own or let nature take its course. Thoughts on this approach?

7. kckane68

Apr 16, 2014
    Also, I don't think she has pasty butt. She is pooping only white matter. I think it's chick urine.

8. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

She's so pretty. I hope she makes it.

1 person likes this.
  9. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    She is a beauiful chick and I hope she makes it. I maybe wrong but I never give up on them. As long as they are eatting and drinking something I continue to feed them.

1 person likes this.
  10. kckane68

Apr 16, 2014
    Pattyhen, that's what I'm struggling with now. If I continue to hand feed, am I prolonging the inevitable or helping her get stronger? At some point, she has to learn to eat on her own. I'm just trying to determine how long I should keep trying? A few days? Weeks?

I'm worried she has a neurological issue and will not learn to eat on her own. I'm not someone that can use my hands to euthanize her, so we're looking into humane ways that don't involve a "violent" act. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

The feed store lady gave her to me for free because she was concerned for her. She felt the chick was over stressed from hatching then shipping, and that she needed a quieter environment and a good chicken mama.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by