4day old baby chick problems

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kckane68, Mar 4, 2016.

1. kckane68

kckane68 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    How long did she live?

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I handfed a baby duck for two months. I guess you can say I prolonged the inevitable. I cherished each of the days I had him. He passed away after two months. I never gave up on him but I can honestly say I did everything I could to nurse him back to health. It wasn't meant to be.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    My girl lived for eight days.

I know what you are going through as I've had many babies with problems. :hugs

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    How is your little girl doing today?

I found a photo of my chick, Helen, for comparison. My chick would often times fall over and not be able to get back up when attempting to walk. Your chick sounds a little bit stronger to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I just had a chick that couldn't figure out how to eat on her own for over a week, but she was otherwise normal. She would yell all night because she was so hungry (only did this two nights before I figured out she wasn't eating). She's alive and eating well now. You are NOT delaying the inevitable, depending on the situation. I've also had some similar to yours (lethargic, on heels) that were perfectly fine in under a week with a little TLC (it has been over a year since I last had one like that, so I don't remember what care I gave them).

For the chick I just had that wasn't eating, she ran around fine with the others, drank, and SEEMED to be eating (in reality she was just mimicking the others pecking at the food), but would hang out under the heat lamp a lot, and yell most of the night. Once I noticed she wasn't actually eating, I syringe fed her for a few days (wet down chick starter with vitamins & electrolytes AKA: Sav-A-Chick). I held her beak open, pushed a little bit out of the syringe (not inside her beak yet), then wiped off the tiny amount on the tip of the syringe into the front of her mouth, so that she could decide to eat it or spit it out. She would eat most of it. After a few days of that, I set her and a dish of wet chick food on the counter and poked at it with the tip of the syringe, lifting some of it out on the tip of the syringe. She then started eating it off the syringe by herself. Within a few minutes of doing that, she started eating out of the dish on her own. For a few days, she would ONLY eat the wet food, but after a while she started eating the dry stuff as well.

She's perfectly fine now. A little smaller than the others, but when they reach adult size, you won't be able to tell her from the others.

I still offer wet food morning and night to the chicks, because they go NUTS for it.

Another note: It REALLY helps if you spend time with them. It stimulates them, and makes them want to get up and move. Even just holding them and petting them helps. Otherwise they just sit under the heat lamp, depressed and feeling miserable.

Half the weight of the others at the time:
    [​IMG]

Weight gain after 11 days:
    [​IMG]

From a few days ago, next to her sisters:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    Thanks Anira for your post. There is always hope and your little one just needed that extra attention and help to get her eatting.

7. kckane68

kckane68 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    Thanks for sharing. Aoife is getting weaker. She no longer takes food from the dropper and doesn't really drink on her own. She can stand and walk a little, but she mostly sits, sleeps, and peeps. I don't think she can last much longer. [​IMG]

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011

:hugs
    You are doing the best you can, which is more than many would do. I commend your efforts and compassion.
    Sadly we can't save them all, no matter how hard we try.

9. I'm having same issue with one of mine only eats from Suringe both water and I've used agave syrup it's day 4 for mine I believe ( they shipped to us on the 2 and we got on 4 and now is the 6 we lost 10 already my heart is broke but I'm told that's to be expected.. the lady is first who seems to be fighting to live the rest were dead on arrival or dead when I'd check on them ( I check every hour at least and several times a night )

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    oh I'm so sorry. :( she sure is beautiful. I wonder why some chicks fail to thrive? I wonder why they won't eat? Does anyone know the answer?? is there something wrong inside that we can't see? poor little guys. it makes me so sad..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by