4H Birds – Thank You!

HallFamilyFarm

APA ETL#195
14 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Monticello, Arkansas
4H Birds – Thank You!

As our county’s only Pollurum/Typhoid Private Tester, I tested 109 birds this afternoon at 7 different premises, scattered all over our county. These were all 4H members birds. There were 4H poultry chain birds, Easter Eggers and hatchery stock. But there were also some of the best exhibition birds I have seen in a while.

A big thank you to all the breeders who supplied eggs, chicks and birds to members of the Drew County 4H Poultry Club. We have Black Jersey Giants, MGBs, OEGBs, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons in bantam and large fowl, and many more. All being shown at our county fair on Sept 22-24. Not sure of all the breeders who helped our youth, but thanks to those I do know…..Dick Hortsman, Jeff Thornton, Jim Crain, Jen Scott, Greg Slayton, and many more. Dick’s grandchicks are looking great. I tested Dick’s chicks at one premise and the grandchicks at another some 10+ miles away. Its contagious to help the youth in the Fancy. I took one look at the young pair of Barred Plymouth Rock bantams and knew they came from Dick’s birds. The eggs these birds hatched from was one of Dick Hortsman's BYC autcions.

Breeders, help the youth when they ask. Just beware…some of these good birds are coming to Crossroads! We have one 4H member that is coming himself to beat Dick! He just may do it.

Again, thanks to all of you who helped our youth. It is appreciated.

Now we need some Marans, Salmon Favolrelle large fowl, Jersey Giant, Rhode Island Red….. more kids join and want what the others have: Exhibition Quailty!

Jim

Jim,
Hello from SW Missouri
frow.gif
I raise large fowl Araucana's and American Serama's and I just caught your thread browsing through. A few weeks ago one of my friends at work approached me and asked if I would sell some of my "little guys" to her nephew. He's in FFA and lives in town so he didn't have much room or money. I gave him a nice trio of Serama chicks and I'm hoping he gets to show them in the spring. Today, a 4H leader from Jefferson City (Steve Hartman) came to visit with his family and I sent them home with Araucana hatching eggs, some Araucana chicks and a trio of Serama chicks.

I can't wait to hear how the kids do with them. They're a very active group from what Steve said

Last spring we had a new member visit our 4H club meeting. Things got busy and we missed getting their information. A few months later a BYC member was on the SQ Egg Swap and I took her eggs. mentioned taht if she ahd any extra eggs my club would appreciate them. We hatched 13 large fowl Salmon Favoerelle chicks from her extra eggs. (Thany you!). Not one member wanted them. So we shipped them overnight to a friend 4 hours from us. he had given birds to several of our members. Felt we owed him something. The family we missed are now very active. I P/T tested their birds this weekend. Lots of just hatchery birds and some junk mixed breed. Many of the hens are not productive. I showed them how to check for egg production. Sadly, the non-productive are going to die. They love chicken dinners and boldly said the did. I prefer fried chicken myself, but dumplings are good. I advised them on slow cookers being used on an old bird. Anyway, I asked what breeds they would like. The 11 year old and Dad wants Black Jersey Giants. The younger and Mom wants....large fowl Salmon Favorelles. They live about two miles from us and I did not know that when we mailed the chicks elsewhere. I called my fried on the way home. he has 9 left and was planningIf he gets rid of any we get first choice and we get eggs. He is also a BYCer. We on keeping only two trios. So I claimed them! He is also a BYCer.

As a 4H leader, we so appreciate folks helping our members. Its not just donating to them, its also those folks that give a 4H/FFA discount. Or add extra eggs to orders they ship. I tested several BYC originated birds yesterday. Very nice quality. Some will even compete at Crossroads Joint National! Last year we won Super Grand Champion of our county fair. Was the best and only choice. The others were either very young or poor condition. This year we have stiff competition! There was talk yesterday from several on bathing their birds. Hey, its just the county fair. These 4Hers are taking the county fair serious. Some just want to beat their 4H leader! ME! We have created monsters! HELP!

Thanks, Jim, for testing all our birds and working hard as our fearless 4-H leader. I can't wait for the fair myself. Last year was a good start and this year will be much better! We should make an impression on Drew County of what a poultry show can be.

The first year we moved here, I checked out the poultry at the fair and found about 10 chickens, 1 duck and a rabbit. The judge admitted to me that all he knew about chickens was that they layed eggs and had feathers! I, for one, am glad to have someone who is willing to work to change the way things are.
thumbsup.gif

You are welcome Julie! However, its parents that support their children's projects that really make them successful.

Our 4H club started with one leader. We now have five approved leaders. Our club started with mostly hatchery and mutt poultry. We now can compete at any show and win. We will be choosing some of our members birds and encouraging them to enter at Crossroads. To have a county fair that can compete on a National level is sweet!

Back
Top Bottom